Can I convert a 50Hp Johnson to an electric start?

gaf11123

Cadet
I have a 1979 50 Hp Johnson Tiller Outboard motor I recently purchased that is a pull rope start. Can I convert it over to a electric start easily? I was thinking that a starter, selnoid, push button switch ans some 6guage wire(battery-starter-ground + & neg wire and maybe some 14-10 guage wire would get me headed in the right direction. There were several starters on Ebay that look like they will bolt right up to the mounting holes where the current pull starter is currently located. I didn't know how or if you could hook up the current electrics on the motor to charge the battery up. The selnoid and push button wiring is an easy deal I think. Any one know if this is possible at all for this motor. Pull rope starting is a pain in the butt currently. Thanks in advance for your ideas and commnets. :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I convert a 50Hp Johnson to an electric start?

they starter is easy, and can be done. the charging is the question, probably expensive, as you have to change the stator, add rectifier. a good battery will work for a weekend trip, and just charge before and after the weekend.

gaf11123

Cadet

What starter would I need to use? The gear on the fly wheel and current pull rope starter gear look like they have more teeth than a 9 gear or even 10 gear electric starter I've seen. Would that still work? I know I won't be able to recharge the battery, but I'll get a 27 series deep cycle battery that will be plenty to run all day and crank the motor, run various fishing electrinics, etc and still have juice left. Let me know what you think about the starter motor gear issue. txs again

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I would think that if the starter was listed for your motor the drive would work. You could always get a solar charger for your battery like some have talked about on the forums.