65 evinrude 33 parts interchangable?

loosecounty

Cadet
Hey guys, this is my first post, love all the info on Iboats! I just bought a 65 evinrude 33 and a big twin 40. The big twin doesnt have a serial # tag so I dont know the year but the motors are both VERY similar. how many of the parts should be interchangeable? The lower units look the same. I Will probably keep the 33, as its complete. would like to keep the 40 for parts if I could use them on the 33 and sell off everything that doesn't fit both motors so other folks can keep their old evinrudes on the water. So my question is what parts work on both motors?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65 evinrude 33 parts interchangable?

Hey guys, this is my first post, love all the info on Iboats! I just bought a 65 evinrude 33 and a big twin 40. The big twin doesnt have a serial # tag so I dont know the year but the motors are both VERY similar. how many of the parts should be interchangeable? The lower units look the same. I Will probably keep the 33, as its complete. would like to keep the 40 for parts if I could use them on the 33 and sell off everything that doesn't fit both motors so other folks can keep their old evinrudes on the water. So my question is what parts work on both motors?

The 33 and 40 have common ancestry, but are very different motors. The lower units will NOT interchange, but the internal gears and stuff will. Neither will the powerheads. The carburetors will bolt up, but not work properly. But magnetos and flywheels are the same. Bottom line: You have to check each item (parts book) to see if they are the same.

loosecounty

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I believe the 40 big twin is a 1960' model by the cowling design, the 33 is a 65 I think by the # 33002M and I saw a long shaft conversion kit that stated it was for 33 and 40 motors so I thought the lower units might interchange. All the bolt paterns look right, but thanks for letting me know they wont work on each other. Whats your take on the 33's , I'm new to that engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info. I believe the 40 big twin is a 1960' model by the cowling design, the 33 is a 65 I think by the # 33002M and I saw a long shaft conversion kit that stated it was for 33 and 40 motors so I thought the lower units might interchange. All the bolt paterns look right, but thanks for letting me know they wont work on each other. Whats your take on the 33's , I'm new to that engine.

33002 is a 1970. It is more or less an updated version of the old 1957 35hp with a different hood. Note the word "updated"--many other things were also changed besides the hood. They are very good motors if in good condition. A lot simpler than the 40hp, but not quite as quiet. But certainly not noisy either. The 40 has a thermostat-controlled recirculating cooling system, the 33 does not. That means different water pumps, the reason the lower units are different. Did I mention the 33 is simpler?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

33002 is a 1970. It is more or less an updated version of the old 1957 35hp with a different hood. Note the word "updated"--many other things were also changed besides the hood. They are very good motors if in good condition. A lot simpler than the 40hp, but not quite as quiet. But certainly not noisy either. The 40 has a thermostat-controlled recirculating cooling system, the 33 does not. That means different water pumps, the reason the lower units are different. Did I mention the 33 is simpler?
i have a 1970 33 evinrude tiller and the 1956 30hp johnson waterpump fits on the 33 perfectly as ive been using it for years.actually i used the whole housing and impeller .as fr said with the omc,s you got to look very closely as some parts interchange and some dont.
HPIM0223.jpg

loosecounty

Cadet

Hey thanks for the opinion on the 33. There isn't that much info out there on this motor so its good to hear from others that know the 33. I will need to find a shaft extention kit, so if anyone has a good leed.......I would also like an extra fuel pump for this engine and cant find one!!! Does anyone know a place that has this pump or if there is a (generic ) replacement part for it? A current part # would be great but I will take any help I can get! Thanks again for the input.

jasper60103

Commander

Assuming your motor uses OMC 382354 fuel pump, which is used on the '68 33 hp. Sierra part# 18-7352 should work for you. Also, see thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300205&highlight=18-7352). Oh, and you can buy it right here on iBoats.

Also, you may get lucky and find a parts motor with an extension. I'm almost certain a 28 lower unit will bolt up to a 33 of the same era.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Part # 18-7352

For: 25-55 HP 1976-89 ( non VRO )

Replaces OEM part #

* OMC 438556
* OMC 433387
* OMC 432451
* OMC 398387
* OMC 398338
* OMC 395713
* OMC 394543
* OMC 388268
* OMC 385781
* OMC 382354

lindy46

Captain

Hey thanks for the opinion on the 33. There isn't that much info out there on this motor so its good to hear from others that know the 33. I will need to find a shaft extention kit, so if anyone has a good leed.......I would also like an extra fuel pump for this engine and cant find one!!! Does anyone know a place that has this pump or if there is a (generic ) replacement part for it? A current part # would be great but I will take any help I can get! Thanks again for the input.

I have a long shaft extension setup from a '56 30hp Lark. Not sure if that is the same or not. PM me if interested.

loosecounty

Cadet

Update: I took off the carb to clean it and noticed the reed plate looked pretty dirty. upon removing the reed plate i found there is a bit of oxidation behind the plate ( kind of a rust "paste") and there is rust on the conecting rod bolts, and some aluminum oxidation "dust" on the inside crank case surfases ( directly behind the reed plate). The counter weights look fine and I have a replacementreed plate.other than that the engine rolls over fine and will " pop" with a little gas sprayed in the cylinder. So the big question now is, is this engine worth the time to mess with considering the light "pasty" rust? Will this "wash" out with a couple hours run time and a heavier oil mix in the gas? what else should I look for to make a good desision as to weather to pursue this perticular motor project? Any Help would be great And I know this is THE place to find it. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Update: I took off the carb to clean it and noticed the reed plate looked pretty dirty. upon removing the reed plate i found there is a bit of oxidation behind the plate ( kind of a rust "paste") and there is rust on the conecting rod bolts, and some aluminum oxidation "dust" on the inside crank case surfases ( directly behind the reed plate). The counter weights look fine and I have a replacementreed plate.other than that the engine rolls over fine and will " pop" with a little gas sprayed in the cylinder. So the big question now is, is this engine worth the time to mess with considering the light "pasty" rust? Will this "wash" out with a couple hours run time and a heavier oil mix in the gas? what else should I look for to make a good desision as to weather to pursue this perticular motor project? Any Help would be great And I know this is THE place to find it. Thanks

Rust in the crankcase is always a bad sign. So, you have two choices at this point---tear it down and inspect the bearings or run it like it is. If you run it like it is, better take a kicker motor to get back home in case it tosses a rod through the case.