need help with1967 Evinrude 60 HP Sportfour

G

HI all. My bass boat has an old 60 hp Evinrude Sportfour on it. It is banging in and out of the forward gear at all speeds It comes out of gear and back in, in about a tenth of a second, it runs ok for about 3 seconds and bangs out and in again. I have tried adjusting the cable and unhooked the cable and shift it by hand and it still bangs. Any clue why it is going this? :confused: How hard is it to fix and how expensive? :eek: It also has a little water in the lower unit oil could this be the reason it bangs? Would it be better to get a used lower or fix this one? Any body know what years and models interchange?
Any body got a lower that will fit this?
tnx for any help.
Rick

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: need help with1967 Evinrude 60 HP Sportfour

Have you inspected the where the shift rod meets from the lower unit up?

G

yes I have, it is all tight and in good shape.

lindy46

Captain

If the linkages are all adjusted, then I'd suspect a worn clutch dog/forward gear.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Something worn out down there in my opinion. Time to tear it apart and inspect.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Something worn out down there in my opinion. Time to tear it apart and inspect.

Your clutch dog and forward gear are worn out. It will only get worse, and quickly. Ignore it awhile and it will beat the shift linkage to death and you will have triple trouble. Since you have to tear it apart to fix it, this is the time to get the seals also. Fix it now. Or pay (more) later.

a70eliminator

Captain

Fill out your profile then we can see where your from, if your local to me I have a bunch of sportfour parts and I may be able to help you out. If you don't want to supply that information that's ok to, I notice alot of our senior members don't.

G

eliminator; Figured out how to add my info you asked for. sent you a pm also tnx Rick