Evinrude 7.5 Hp?

elrod

Seaman Apprentice
I am new here. Been wanting a boat for several months. I went to look at a boat that an individual had for sale. It had the ablove older, 2 stroke engine. It evidently had bad gas in it and he had cleaned it out and said he had got it running. I saw no evidence he had put it in water. I did not ask for a demonstration that it would run. I am worried that this is dreadfully harmful to the engine. I liked the boat but was not impressed with his actions. Thoughts or reassurance requested!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 7.5 Hp?

If he just fired it up for a few seconds to satisfy himself that it ran, it probably didn't do any damage. However, as with any used outboard - unless the motor is sold with some sort of warranty or documentation that work was done recently, assume it will need basic tune-up stuff, regardless of how well it runs for a demo. A compression check is also a good idea, as many of those motors will run "fine" on one cylinder, while the other cylinder is grenading itself to pieces...

kbait

Commander

Make sure you have compression and spark and fuel. In that order. When you're done, you'll have the best motor ever. Fish will be eviscerated, and duck's will stew. Life will friggin' ROCK!

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

I had to laugh at my original post. I ended up treating this old boat much worse than the guy I bought it from. After 5 years of neglect by me, my 14 year old grandson has instigated a fishing trip with this old boat. We took a trolling motor, they caught about 65 crappie, but, the highlight of my day was getting the evinrude 7.5 started and it runs like a top. Quiet and smooth. Everyone on the forum told me that these were great engines. Wow. We were fishing about 15 ft or so off a rocky bank and a pickup drove by and some guy yelled out "hey, get off of my boat" I took it has high praise.

yoscotts

Recruit
i bought a boat with a evinrude 7.5hp engine on it. I can't find a serial number on it. I believe by pictures it is from the mid 80's. How can I find out the year the engine is from? Where would I find the serial number? It is a great engine!

nwcove

Admiral
welcome to iboats yos! not good forum manners to hijack, but if you have a good look behind the coil packs, you may find the model number on a nickel sized aluminum plug.