1983 90hp johnson tilt prob- dead spot then it goes

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Anywhere from 2/3 to full up position, when i tilt down, the tilt motor runs but it has this dead spot starting at full up where it just makes its RRRRRRRR noise, then it catches after about 10 seconds and continues down like nothing happened. During that dead space the motor is free, and if you let up on the button and walk back there you can push it back and it drops to the lowest position it can for the time youve held the button.

As it runs (with no motor movement), it apparently thinks its got the motor down as the little pistons for the fine tuning will start to retract while the motor is still sitting up high before it catches and starts going down. Once it gets to dead bottom and i push it back up a bit again everything evens out and the precision ones work properly, provided i dont bring the motor up high enough to get into that dead space.

When its near the bottom in a normal running position while im out it has no problems, its only really an issue when first launching and getting the motor down to start it. Those bottom 2/3 are just great once its in them.

I had a boat mechanic look it and it and he just refilled the tt fluids and ran it a while and said if it goes down eventually dont worry about it and that a replacement piston would run me more than the motor is worth. That seems a bit extreme to me.

Any suggestions on rebuild kits for the thing, or other fixes greatly appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1983 90hp johnson tilt prob- dead spot then it goes

They sell rebuild kits, just a bunch of seals and O rings, can't be much more than $75. Its not a difficult job if you buy the service manual and follow it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The problem/cause is simply that the tilt steering tube is somewhat corroded/rusted (or one of the large side nuts are too tight). This results in the engine sticking in the up position until the trim rams are pulled in fully, after which the main tilt cylinder takes affect.

In the down mode, the engine is not normally pulled down. The engine free falls as hydraulic pressure is released until it normally touches the trim rams, then hydraulic pressure takes over in the 15? trim range.

When the steering tube jams the engine up somewhat, the engine does exactly what you describe. Clean the steering tube as needed.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

In the down mode, the engine is not normally pulled down. The engine free falls as hydraulic pressure is released until it normally touches the trim rams, then hydraulic pressure takes over in the 15? trim range.

When the steering tube jams the engine up somewhat, the engine does exactly what you describe. Clean the steering tube as needed.

This was actually an issue, as the steering cable has no zerk on it and was in ugly shape. It's on a little 16' cape horn so the cable wouldn't come out all the way without pulling the motor, so it only took a drill brush in about 3/4 of the way to clean the muck out (previous owner just slathered 2cycle on it every time he went out:confused:)

If I remove the nut on the end of the steering cable and then tilt it, would this be an adequate test of whether it's the steering cable, or could it still jam up just with it in there?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

The problem/cause is simply that the tilt steering tube is somewhat corroded/rusted (or one of the large side nuts are too tight). This results in the engine sticking in the up position until the trim rams are pulled in fully, after which the main tilt cylinder takes affect.

Fixed!!!! You were dead on. I spent 5 minutes hosing the thing down where it pivots up and down with WD-40 and edging it up and down and now it drops like new.. Kiss my *** expensive repair estimate!:D

Last edited: