What generation Johnson/Evinrude 15 to buy?

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have experience with the 1974-92 generation, and like them a lot (which many others would seem to agree with considering the number I see on the lake). I have a 1978 Johnson 15 that seem decently powerful and reliable, and might like to get a second engine for another family member's boat.

I understand the 1993-2007(?) models were changed greatly, but share some parts with the earlier generation. Is there one generation to recommend over the other? Were the last generaion 15 hp models significantly more powerful or more fuel efficient than the previous? Were there any major problems that were fixed, or were new problems introduced? The only disadvantage I can see with the newer ones is the proliferation of plastic parts (like the lower cowl) that might break easier.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: What generation Johnson/Evinrude 15 to buy?

I like the 90's 15hp motors a lot. If I could afford one, that's what I'd have if I were looking for a 15hp 2 stroke johnson. You already know the older ones were good, too.:)
Later,
JBJ

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it were me I would get what I knew how to work on.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are all good motors.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your 78 I think would have a better gph(gallons per hour)rate than the older 15 and 18s from the 60s and you might notice a slight improvement in gph(gallons per hour)with a motor from the mid to late 80s.Otherwise your probably acquainted with any typical problems with the design.

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My personal prefferance is the 1974-76 year models. The very early 1974 have a pot metal water pump housing, but that's easily replaced. I just don't like the power pack CDI/solid state ignitions as they tend to go bad at the worst possible moment, and have a history of failing. As others mentioned, the later engines have alot of plastic that does break, especially the transom clamp handles, the early engines have metal clamp handles.

The problem with the older engines is that they most likely need the fuel pump diaphragms changed, the lower unit re-sealed, water pump serviced,and maybe the power head pulled to replace the upper water tube grommet, and possibly the crank seals. For this reason, if you are not framilliar with doing those tasks, a newer engine under 15 years old might be a better choice. On the other hand, a well maintained early model is a rare, but nice find.

The number one thing is to avoid a salt water engine, these can have hidden corrosion inside that can render them junk when you try and take them apart.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I agree with the "all good motors" thing. Easy to work on and reliable. As with all used motors it all depends on the history of it and the current condition.
Good Luck.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

They are good motors , the 74-76 motors had a lot of metal in them , shift detent, water pumps, stuff like that, I myself think the points system is good however powerpacks work good too. Failure can be the powerback or bad points or old coils, what's your vice? The only pitfall to these motors IMO was the tiller gear. The later model switched to a cable system which is 10x better than the gears. The later models had thermostats at the top of the block whereas the old one's were at the bottom. They also made changes and added seals where seals weren't at the crankshaft and different crank bearing's on later motors. I'm building an 83 motor right now but putting on an 88 powerhead with a SEL lower unit, should be quite the beast when I'm done.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I just picked up a '56 Johnson 15hp. Hope to have it running soon. A sharp looking engine! They don't make em like they used to! And only 75 lbs!

sdanville

Cadet
definitely the 1993 and newer generation. they had an all new power head. 20% greater displacement and power. Front Shift Lever. I own the last year evinrude made... the light weight 15hp. 1998. Production stopped in 1998. Johnson sold left over inventory for a few more years and gave them newer model year tags. I owned 3 of the older generation 15hp. fine motors...just weaker, 2lbs heavier and no front shift.