'94 Evinrude 88 SPL losing power randomly

.Bennett

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '94 Evinrude 88 SPL losing power randomly

Shop checked it out again and said the fuel in my tank was cloudy (watery) and so they drained it and cleaned the tank. They changed the filter and the tech said he was positive that was the problem.

Took it out tonight on fresh gas and it ran great for 45 minutes and then on the way home, SAME issue!!! WTF?!?!?!

They checked coils/stator/powerpack/fuel vent etc. and everything was great he said.

Motor runs amazing when its not losing power lol. Any more guesses?

jonesg

Admiral

But you've already been given the best advise on how to find the problem and you haven't tried any of it. I'm done here.

.Bennett

Seaman Apprentice

But you've already been given the best advise on how to find the problem and you haven't tried any of it. I'm done here.

Just wanted to update the thread: I took it out with a timing light and all my electrical stuff was mint. When the engine would start to lose power, squeezing the primer ball would solve the problem.

I was apparently getting air in the line so I replaced the fuel line as well as the gas/water lines and ran all new fittings into the tank. Had it out twice now and that appears to have solved the issue.

I appreciate all the replies and helpful advice:)