What does DVA stand for?? multimeter

cropduster21

Cadet
I am testing the output of my power pack (15 hp. 4stroke) I dont have the Stevens PL-88 adapter. I picked up a peak reading meter from work and a 10 ohm resistor, and I asked the technician if this was a DVA meter. He said he didnt know what that was. No one in the lab knew what DVA stands for. What does it stand for? does testing with this 10 ohm resistor in the circuit still require the DVA type meter?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What does DVA stand for?? multimeter

Direct Voltage Adapter - Fluke and many multimeters have, or can get this adapter. Hope this helps

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

since AC voltage by definition is constantly changing from positive through zero to negative and back, your typical meter shows "RMS" (an average) voltage; the DVA causes your multimeter to report "peak" AC instead. "peak reading meter" is not something your average DIY outboard mechanic will have lying around.

whenever you see references to "DVA voltage", read "peak AC".

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Most outboard mechanics use either a dedicated DVA meter or a DVA adapter to fit their digital multi-meters. Here is a link to an inexpensive DVA adapter from ESI.

http://esitest.com/640.html

jonesg

Admiral

I am testing the output of my power pack (15 hp. 4stroke) I dont have the Stevens PL-88 adapter. I picked up a peak reading meter from work and a 10 ohm resistor, and I asked the technician if this was a DVA meter. He said he didnt know what that was. No one in the lab knew what DVA stands for. What does it stand for? does testing with this 10 ohm resistor in the circuit still require the DVA type meter?

You'r all set with that peak meter.
DVA is just 3 parts, CAPACITOR, DIODE , RESISTOR.

My non electrical thinking says the diode eliminates half the AC wave, the capacitor holds it long enough for the meter needle to settle, the resistor is probably just a chick thing.:D