clymer manual pretty much useless

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
hi guys i have a clymer manual that shows nothing about the water pump can someone tell me how to slide the impellor up the shaft off of the key without damaging it i have not tried very hard as i dont want to damage the key i know it has to be lifted up and it seems stuck its also a rather new impellor

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: clymer manual pretty much useless

hi guys i have a clymer manual that shows nothing about the water pump can someone tell me how to slide the impellor up the shaft off of the key without damaging it i have not tried very hard as i dont want to damage the key i know it has to be lifted up and it seems stuck its also a rather new impellor
Don't know what motor you are talking about but it should pretty much slide right up leaving the key behind. My opinion would be to replace the impeller anyway if you are in there. If it is the plastic wedge key you may have to rotate slightly backwards to release the tension on the key and impeller to give a little clearance to raise the impeller up.

Yes Clymer manuals are even a poor substitute for toilet tissue.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it has been a long time since changing, i have had to take a dremel tool and split the impeller hub, to get it off.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

cheers for the replies its a 75 70hp johnson the impeller i was told was newly put in and it does look in new condition with all fingers so to speak are strait and flexible i just didnt want to force anything ill give it a go tomorrow also what direction does the impeller turn?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

cheers for the replies its a 75 70hp johnson the impeller i was told was newly put in and it does look in new condition with all fingers so to speak are strait and flexible i just didnt want to force anything ill give it a go tomorrow also what direction does the impeller turn?

Impeller fins should be curved in one direction when in position in the pump. Are yours straight ?? Is there a particular reason you are in the water pump area right now ??

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If it's on the motor you've working on in your other post I would say that there is enough rust on the shaft to prevent it from sliding off. I have had to take 1200 grit paper to the shaft before to clean it up. That's if you can get it to slide up a 1/2" or so then it sticks. If it won't move at all your probably going to have to do as Tash said.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

yes the fins are strait because its a new impeller and the shaft has no rust at all

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If the impellar won't slide up the shaft there is almost for sure rust there. You may not see it or it may have pits and that have raised edges. Either cas it has to be removed. Once cleaned up the impellar will slide up the shaft rather easy. Rather easy means that the fit is jut shy of a pressed fit, hence the fact that any obstruction will prevent it from coming off. If anything catches on the impellar sleeve you can beat all day and it may not move.