Bolt - lower unit 7/16 next to trim-tab housing stripped- 1987 90HP

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1987/E90TLCUR 1987/GEARCASE/parts.html#

How important is that screw ? The bolt is good. I tried cleaning out the threads on the mid-section housing but seems like one of my predecessors put some b.s. like JB Weld or epoxy in there. That's what the crud that came out looked like. My fathers idea is to double layer some plumbers tape on there and see if I can get some pretty good snugness. Manual calls for 30 -32 ft/lb. Hellicoil the only way to go ?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Bolt - lower unit 7/16 next to trim-tab housing stripped- 1987 90HP

Take the bolt and buy the same length, stainless but one size up,
buy a matching drill and tap and tap it for the bigger (dia) bolt.

Make sure you oil the tap and keep backing the tap out to clear the chips, last thing you wanna do is snap it off by forcing it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

That bolt is one of the five, I think, that secures the gearcase to the mid section. It is not a place to try to hold with JB Weld or duct tape.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the one and only 7/16". There are 5 bolts 3/8". I THINK somebody who owned this engine before me used JB WELD, I won't. I was talking TEFLON TAPE (plumbers tape) not Duct tape. This is a very thin tape that you wrap tightly around the threads and fits like a glove. They use it to prevent leaks around threads. I might as well try it and see how it goes. I'll let you all know.

bang4dabuck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turn. Turn. Turn. Tap it is. I guess 1/2" 20. I will track down a bolt first.