Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedicDave

Recruit
I have a 1979 35 HP Johnson Outboard motor (model 35EL79A) I just purchased. The wires were in bad shape but I have managed to replace with a new wire harnes. My question is, the yellow wire with the red stripe that goes to the bottom of the neutral safety switch... where does the the wire that comes out of the neutral safety switch go? To the solenoid? if so which terminal? Thanks for any advice.

Dave

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Neutral Safety Switch Wiring

I have a 1979 35 HP Johnson Outboard motor (model 35EL79A) I just purchased. The wires were in bad shape but I have managed to replace with a new wire harnes. My question is, the yellow wire with the red stripe that goes to the bottom of the neutral safety switch... where does the the wire that comes out of the neutral safety switch go? To the solenoid? if so which terminal? Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Diagram shows the yellow/red wire from the ignition switch goes to the small solenoid terminal that is closest to the battery cable. The other small solenoid terminal goes to the neutral safety switch. The safety switch is grounded somehow--I assume by the other terminal you mentioned

MedicDave

Recruit

Thanks so much for the information. I will give it a try and see what happens.

MedicDave

Recruit

Your information worked. Got it up and running. My first complete boat and motor rebuild and rewire job is now complete. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.