2002 Johnson Bombardier

pgarner222

Recruit
I have a 2002 Johnson Bombardier 90 HP. It idles great, but when I shift into gear it dies. This happens unless I can get it up past initial speed before it dies. Once it is running at a faster speed it seems to run great. This problem only occurs periodically. I left my boat stored for a few months, but we added stabil to it. Any ideas on what the problem may be? I am a newbie at outboard repair, but am good with my hands. Thank you so much. Nothing puts a damper on your day like engine troubles.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Johnson Bombardier

It may be slightly dirty idle passages. I think you can clean them up without disassembling the carbs or messing with the idle adjustment. although I have planned to do this procedure on my '98 Johnny 150HPV6, a sprained ankle has prevented me from attempting the repair, so far.

On your motor the carbs are simply bowls and floats. The idle passages and adjustments are mainly behind the carbs on the throttle bodies. Get on the crowleymarine.com web site and look up the parts for your motor, to see what I mean.

There is a cover on the starboard side of the throttle body (two screws). Under it is the idle adjustment needle and some idle passages. My plan was to remove this cover and spray the needle and blow out the passages with carb cleaner, an then reinstall the cover. if I am correct, that should clean up the majority of the idle passages. If you try it, let me know if it works for you.