1988 Evinrude will not charge

88 40hp evinrude new batt, new rectifier, removed flywheel checked stator all 3 yellow wires not shorted to grd. 0 res. between each of the wires at stator. shows 12.6 volts accross batt. terms. with eng above idle

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: help!! at end of hunt

What is battery voltage without engine running? What RPM are you checking voltage at?

12.6 not running . no tach I guess around 1800 - 2000 rpm will not charge when out cruising the lake. Batt. will start engine about 2 or 3 days then have to use batt charger recharge the batt.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The RPM should be high enough to show a voltage increase. You might need to get a factory manual to help you check out the charging system. Sounds like you have checked the most likely components. I am sure someone will come along with more suggestions.

all potting on stator looks good. i cant use a digatal vom to check ac voltage coming out of stator. The display gets all scatered unable readable. Do I need a analog meter?

Re: 1988 Evinrude will not charge

Retifier cks good per that test. Batt voltage not running 12.6 Batt voltage running at any rpm 12.6 -12.3 . Batt voltage drops when nav lights on to 11 something and will not charge with a increase of rpm.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Check the DC volts output from the rectifier. Red wire = positive, case = negative.

Check the AC volts going into the rectifier. Check between the yellow/grey and the plain yellow. Check between the yellow/grey and the yellow/blue. Both should be 14 volts or more when revved.

My meter is digatal the display scatters when you go yellow to yellow it is unreadable . Can you use a digital or do I need a analog meter?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Interesting, maybe you do need an anlogue meter or maybe you have found the problem. Switched it to AC volts ?

could check using a 12 volt bulb.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You should get over 30 VAC across the yellows.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Checked this out today.

If all is well a digital meter set to AC volts will give reading of the output from the stator (charge) coils.

I got readings between 15 and 20 volts at a bit more than idle speed.

Great I tried 2 different meters set on AC voltage both act the same way. must have a bad stator the. Thanx for all the help.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Great I tried 2 different meters set on AC voltage both act the same way. must have a bad stator the.
Or there is something amiss with the wiring.

Earlier you said the coils had zero resistance. It is low but it is just about measurable but I forget what values I obtained when I did do it. The resistance yellow to yellow/blue should be twice the value of either to yellow/grey.

To wilde1 : the OP already said, "My meter is digatal the display scatters when you go yellow to yellow it is unreadable."

Ready to get out the boat and get it fixed. Never got the charging issued fixed. Any ideas would help