2002 Johnson 115 ??????

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking at buying a 1987 four winns freedom, with a rebuilt, 2002 johnson engine.

First off it is owned by a surgeon who bought the 2002 rebuilt engine from a marina, in 2006, maintained it properly, winterized it, stored it in a heated barn, etc.

Now a rebuilt, newer engine, to most would be a good thing, but to me it screams that the engine blew up 3 years after it was made. Thats almost unfathomable to me. Ive always heard johnson engines were super reliable? What can you tell me about the 2002 johnson 115?

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Johnson 115 ??????

that 60* v-4 has always been one of omc/bomb 's most soilid engines. if one of those unexpected things happened to a support system, VRO, etc, then it was just bad luck. if the rebuild job was done properly, I wouldnt worry about it.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 2002 Johnson 115 ??????

I am looking at buying a 1987 four winns freedom, with a rebuilt, 2002 johnson engine.

First off it is owned by a surgeon who bought the 2002 rebuilt engine from a marina, in 2006, maintained it properly, winterized it, stored it in a heated barn, etc.

Now a rebuilt, newer engine, to most would be a good thing, but to me it screams that the engine blew up 3 years after it was made. Thats almost unfathomable to me. Ive always heard johnson engines were super reliable? What can you tell me about the 2002 johnson 115?

Weeeellll,,,,, You didnt say if the old motor blew up or if it was a smaller one that he replaced for a bigger one. Maybe he he just wanted a newer motor. Maybe he just wanted a bigger motor, or both.
Just because the motor was replaced, you shouldnt assume that it was a problem.
Owners use to trade them in all the time for no other reason than to move up.