1991 evinrude 175 hp v6 intruder stalling

bassbug

Cadet
need help i just bought 1991 intruder v6 stalling out i had new thermastats put in and new water pump .when i put it in gear it will move backwards about 30 feet then stall .foward it stalls has soon has you put it in gear.. starts right back up every time ..idels fine.. baby it in gear and it will take off topend speed great i can idel around when i get pass that hump of dying . did compression on all six . i had 95 to 91 compression all cyclenders called dealer they said that was about right for this engine and i was using to long of line to compression gauge only one i have . they said its fuel related maybe bad gas i drained the tanks fresh fuel . and cleaned carbs. i did notice on all carbs the idel screws are turned all the way inn . when it starts to die i get a sneeze out of carb thanks for any help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 evinrude 175 hp v6 intruder stalling

did you remove and clean all the jets? and blow out there ports?

bassbug

Cadet

yes cleaned every thing blowed out with good compressor and sprayed cleaner thru them . i dont think its a over heat problem it does cold or hot . the throttel rollor arm is right against the advance arm butter flys all closed no fuel leaks plugs look wet when i take them out

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If you have a problem with a 60 degree carb motor stalling on take off you need to check the timing roller, the first picture the roller is incorrect, in the second picture the screw that is used to adjust the roller is marked, loosen the screw and move the roller until it touches the arm as indicated by the arrow.
The third picture is how the roller should be positioned.

All pictures are with the top round cover removed.
(1st pic)Roller in an incorrect position
(2nd pic) Loosen screw, move roller as indicated by arrows.
(3rd pic) Correct roller position.
If this checks out open the idle adjustment screws on carbs 1/8th turn CC, make sure engine is idling @ 1000 rpm out of gear in the water, and rebuild bleed pump.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 4

bassbug

Cadet

the roller was off just a littel not much i adjusted it im going to take back to the lake next weekend so i can put a load on prop the idle screws on front i noticed have a hole in the end of them . what is the purpose of the holes. by turning screws out cc that would be adding more fuel right because plugs look wet . right know all screws are all the way in . i did noticed the hood insalation is get old falling all over the place i pulled it out to keep debree from getting on the idle screws holes thanks for the great photos it helps when you can see what some one is talking about.

bassbug

Cadet

went back thru carbs found float siting to low changed plugs again took it back to lake and tried it out im not geting a sneeze thru carbs no more but it did wont to stall in foward not reverse . now im geting a horn warning its not loud but it beeps every 2 seconds like low oil but it was filled all the way to the top so i had plenty of oil im taking to dealer to get it fixed i will post what they do to it and if it works this is a verry comon outboard problem so i will post what i find

bassbug

Cadet

just solved oil horn it was line going to cowling right were its going to motor pulled cover back the line had came all the way off put new clamp on no more horn going to take to dealer at least i hope i saved some money finding that oil horn issue going off every 2 seaconds

SparkieBoat

Captain

I bypassed my VRO pump and premix, then just unplug the wire going to the vro. detail instructions in the secret files section of this forum. idle screws should be about 4 turns out from soft set, you can then try adjusting them 1/4 turn at the time and testing the motor after each adjustment, also you may want to check for any insulation that may have gotten caught in the reeds. never hurts to clean them anyway and check your intake manifold gasket and throttle body seals and carb seals.

bassbug

Cadet

insalation was coming off and getting on carbs i removed it . can you clean reeds with out removing carbs like with some type of spray. idle screws on carbs are all the way in some one told me you cant adjust them . my screws on front of carbs have a hole in them i have a manuel but it dont show detail on these thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain

i would remove the reeds to clean them, spray probably will not do on solid particles like insulation. also the idle-air screws on the front of the carb are the ones I was talking about. remove them and make sure no one has over tightened them. the tapered end should be smooth with no shank. then soft set them and back out 4 turns each, then adjust 1/4 turn each and retest, if it gets worse go 1/4 turn the other way until you find the best adjustment, allow at least 5 mins of running time between adjustments. I would not mess with the idle air screws until I cleaned reeds and carbs. also check the gaskets/seals. If you have the old black rubbery intake manifold gasket, I would recommend replacing it.

bassbug

Cadet

went back to lake 2/29/2010 boat did not sneeze that was a float out of adjusment fixed... has far has stalling i did link and sink i also ran sea foam in one tank the other regular gas ran on sea foam and swithed tanks to regular boat has no more stall on take off i do think insalation from hood cover caused a lot of problems with this engine boat ran 55 mph at 5200 rpms pretty fast for a 20 foot boat heavy boat i have a racker prop 24 pitch now it was cooler weather i will see about stall .when weather heats up. i know these carbs on a 1991 175 intruder get a lot of vapor from plastic gas bowls on motor from extrem heat . i hope this helps some one else fix there boat and save a few dollors

jonesg

Admiral

Good job, we don't need no stinkin dealers.:D

SparkieBoat

Captain

you may want to consider a 21 pitch prop. the best WOT RPM range is around 5700, you will probably get a few more MPH and the motor will preform better all the way around.