Help removing recoil starter unit on 1984 9.9?

drb111

Cadet
I am getting ready to clean carbs for the first time on my 1984 9.9. In order to remove the carb, I need to remove the recoil starter unit and was looking for help or tips please. The old seloc manual that I have doesn't have great instructions. Thanks very much

Rick.

Captain
Re: Help removing recoil starter unit on 1984 9.9?

Always happy to here someone is cleaning (and putting a new kit in) their carb.

Here's what I do. Pull the starter rope out a good distance and tie a slip knot on the cord. Let it go back toward the recoil until it stops. Remove the center bolt that goes down through the middle of the recoil, keeping the recoil together by pushing slightly on the top. Once the bolt is free of it's threadsgrasp the entire recoil with both hands and lift it off while keeping it tight together. Push the bolt back down and out the bottom and screw on a 3/8 NC nut on the bolt to keep the recoil together. Then you can safely drape it off to the front of the engine while you work on the carb. Best of luck. Rick.

drb111

Cadet

excellent advice. I can picture it in my head. Thank you...I wish the manual made it sound that easy!

Rick.

Captain

I would highly recommend you get an original OMC service manual for your year and HP. Doesn't matter much if it is Johnson or Evinrude but they are far better to work from than anything else. Best of luck. Rick.

kbait

Commander

I use a rubber band to hold the works together while it's dangling. Don't want bad dreams!