gearcase repair evinrude v4 65hp 2968

sebbbe

Seaman Apprentice
Hi
im about to repair my lower unit, waterpump and gearcase. i had a lot of water in the gearcase and im taking it apart to se the condition of the parts.
i have a book and everything is going fine but i cant unskrew the philips skrew, its stucked. any tip of to get rid of it without break it? and how to do IF it breakes or the head get round??

tanx

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: gearcase repair evinrude v4 65hp 2968

Hi
im about to repair my lower unit, waterpump and gearcase. i had a lot of water in the gearcase and im taking it apart to se the condition of the parts.
i have a book and everything is going fine but i cant unskrew the philips skrew, its stucked. any tip of to get rid of it without break it? and how to do IF it breakes or the head get round??

tanx

Use a hand impact screwdriver with a properly fitting bit. The hammer impact will keep the bit from camming out of the socket. Normally the threads are immersed in oil so they don't corrode in. However, in your case they were immersed in water. What more can I say.

Next, pray that it doesn't break or round out. You are in for some precision removal work to remove it if it does, with the gearcase at stake.

sebbbe

Seaman Apprentice
Re: gearcase repair evinrude v4 65hp 2968

tank for youre tip. i dont think its corroded inside the unit but it is around the hat. i was thinking of heating it up but maybe the hat will be soft and get round ???