1988 Evinrude 28 HP ESL boggs when given gas

lookingforhelp

Recruit
The engine ( 1988 Evinrude 28 HP ESL) was tuned and serviced but not used for some time (approximately 1 year). When started it idles well. When put in gear it will idle and run at low speeds. When you give it throttle it boggs and will shut off if you do not back off on the throttle. It does not have any problem restarting and runs well at idle). I pulled the cover and placed a few fingers over the carb and it runs like a new engine. It will run wide open as long as I restrict air into the carb. Once I remove my fingers (stop restricting the air) it immediately dies. It does seem to be getting fuel into the carb when you give it throttle, it just will not burn correctly until you restrict the air. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 Evinrude 28 HP ESL boggs when given gas

By putting your hand over the carb intake you are choking the engine. I would pull the high speed jets and check for a restriction.

lookingforhelp

Recruit

can you tell me if this motor is suppose to have a breather or plate that attaches to the carb. The carb has three threaded holes on the front but no breather or plate over the carb. When I pull the cover off the motor, I am looking into the carb and can see through the carb into the manifold.

oakie22

Recruit

I have a 1990 evinrude 28hp that does the same thing when you throttle it.
I am going to try the finger over the carb tomorrow. The marina I brought it to couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, or didn't want to waste time on it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The parts breakdown I have does not show anything on the front of carb.