NewMoon

Cadet
Johnson\Evinrude OceanRunner(salt Water Model) 150 HP 1998
Engine Starts and Idles fine.
When I put it into Forward it shuts down
When I put it Neutral I can start it up again
When I put it into Reverse it shuts down
When I put it Neutral I can start it up again

Engine will not continue to run in forward and reverse.
It stalls when I put it into gear.
Any ideas? Need more info? Your help would be greatly appreciated. We've had a lot of trouble with this engine and we bought it brand new. Thank You.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson\Evinrude OceanPro(salt Water Model) 150 HP 1998

Check your shift switch

NewMoon

Cadet
Re: Johnson\Evinrude OceanRunner(salt Water Model) 150 HP 1998

Thank You both - will let you know how it works out.

Last edited:

NewMoon

Cadet

Took the boat out with the mechanic at my marina the engine ran ok.

Took the boat to gas it up a few days later and it ran fine from the house to the gas dock. Left the gas dock to take it for a ride and it stalled just as it had done before. (Intermittent fuel issue)

Put a cruising tank on the engine to bypass the whole fuel system. It still stalled however my dad was on the boat with me and as long as he kept squeezing the primer bulb we were able to maintain rpms and make it back to the house.

The VRO has been disconnected and I am mixing oil into the gas. My book says the VRO is a fuel and oil pump. I have ordered the VRO conversion kit which is just a fuel pump.

Right now I think the fuel pump part of the VRO went bad. Will know more after I install the conversion part over the weekend. I Pray this is the fix. Its the end of the season and we haven't had much time on the water.

jonesg

Admiral

Its the fuel pump for sure.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Newmoon, That motor has a vapor pump that assists the OMS pump. You might rebuild it as well. It is located on top of the fuel bracket, where the gasoline line screws in.

NewMoon

Cadet

Replaced the Fuel Pump and spark plugs - engine runs like a dream!

To correct my subject line - my outboard is an OceanRunner.

I used Evinrude Johnson Part #5007422 KIT AY, F PUMP&LMTR This is the VRO conversion Kit.
I also replaced the secondary fuel filter the one that comes after the Fuel Water Separator filter. Its Evinrude Johnson Part #433190. Mine was filled with grit. Glad I checked it.

Since the VRO is a dual purpose unit (Oil and Fuel pump) there was no real way to know which component was bad right off.

The conversion kit eliminates the oil pump and the alarm. It was a complete package with all of the replacement fittings and o-rings. We tied a white sheet under the engine to prevent loss of parts because our boat is docked at our house.

The old part came off easy and the new one went on the same. The unit fits together like a puzzle piece.
We took it for a test drive and it took off like a rocket ship - New Moon ZOOM!!!
Then we came back and replaced the spark plugs. This improved our RPMs by 3000!
Thank You All for your comments and suggestions. This is a very helpful forum.

The two items will look at next are the Vapor pump (as suggested) and the fuel dip tube that goes into the tank.

Last edited:

SparkieBoat

Captain

Yes this forum is invaluable and thanks to all the pros who help us noobs. I also have a 96 Evinrude 150..the VRO has been capped and I premix my fuel. So from what I just read there is a conversion pump that replaces the whole vro unit that is just a fuel pump. That is very informative and helpful.
Sparkie

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

.....Then we came back and replaced the spark plugs. This improved our RPMs by 3000!

I am guessing that is a typo!!!!!

300 rpms??? maybe

thanks for the feed back.....I have an ocean pro and am probably picking up an ocean runner next week about the same year...

those part numbers might come in handy

can we ask what they cost you and where you got them?

bob

BOB

NewMoon

Cadet

Oh yeah - wow big type-o - I was excited. I can't stop smiling!

The Conversion pump (5007422) cost $325. (if buying in NJ add 22.75 for sales tax Aaargh!)
Purchased at Munro's Marina in Tuckerton, NJ 08087 (609)296-8202

I will get back to you about the other filter I don't have that receipt with me.

Last edited:

NewMoon

Cadet

I'm shopping for 2 stroke outboard oil.
I use TCW3.
My Marine Shop stopped selling TCW3 and they tell me that I can use XD30 or XD50 (synthetic blend).

If I have TCW3 in my fuel tank can I mix XD30 or XD50 with it? Is it okay to use XD50 synth with my engine?

As always thanks.

Last edited: