setting timing on 1967 johnson 100 horse

secretlysane

Recruit
i have a 1967 johnson 100 horse golden meteor. the timing was off so the boat would die if it got abouve 1000 rpm. adjusted timing to what manual specified and now the boat wont start at all. trying to figure out how to set timing without doing damage to the engine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: setting timing on 1967 johnson 100 horse

i have a 1967 johnson 100 horse golden meteor. the timing was off so the boat would die if it got abouve 1000 rpm. adjusted timing to what manual specified and now the boat wont start at all. trying to figure out how to set timing without doing damage to the engine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are speaking of the belt timing, the way specified in the book is the only way possible to do it.....You do have the correct book, don't you?

The only other thing that can affect timing is a sheared flywheel key.

Or mixed up spark plug wires!!!

secretlysane

Recruit
Re: setting timing on 1967 johnson 100 horse

it is set according to the book, if i adjust the timing( take off the belt and move it a few notches) it gets better. but i was trying to figurew out if there was a way to get the timing right using a pressure guage or something. i do have the right book.