75hp 2000 Evinrude E-tec won't turn over

mcslee1

Cadet
Hello. I was out yesterday and found that fuel pressure test port had ejected itself into engine compartment and was spraying gas all over. After i found the unit and re-installed it, the engine won't even turn over. Is there a reset button I am missing. I have disconnected the battery cables for a hour and still nothing. Please help.

Thanks, Chris:confused:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 75hp 2000 Evinrude E-tec won't turn over

I don't think there was a 75 E-Tec before model year 2004. Certainly none in 2000. Do you have a Ficht or is the year a typo?

BTW, there is no "reset" for the EMM and the Ficht or E-Tec's are not well suited to DYI ignition or fuel system work, unless you have the skills and tools (laptop and diagnostic sw, expertise, etc.). The fuel condition you describe is potentially very dangerous and I believe normally corrected by replacing the fuel rail with a newer design w/o the Schrader valve deal. Not sure the valve assy can be safely replaced as a field repair.

Have you checked the 20A fuse for being blown or making poor contact? That would cause a "no crank" condition.

I would suggest taking the motor to a competent tech, unless you have the requisite skills.

mcslee1

Cadet

Thanks Jim.
I am a competent tech on engine's just not totally marine. Where is the 20 amp fuse you are talking about? I removed the fuse cover on the side of the motor any could only find 10amp fuses. The motor is a 7/2000 Evinrude E-Tec 75hp (E75 motor Code and E-Tec on the Engine Cover).

Thanks, Chris

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

recheck you year chris,there were no e-tec,s made in 2000 period .

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If you have an E-Tec, there will be four LED status lights near the EMM connectors. Are any illuminated or flashing (keyswitch on)? Key on (not running) = #1 illum, #2 out, #3 flashing red, #4 flashing red. You will also be able to read stored codes with a laptop and the sw. What does the System Check Monitor on the panel show (if you have an E-Tec, these were mandatory)?

BTW, the fuse (at least on my E-Tec's is 10A, not 20A ... my bad). It's a blade type push in automotive type fuse located top port rear on small block V6's, no clue for in line 3's. Without a shop manual, you don't have a prayer ... there are tons of tests for the E-Tec EMMs in my books.

mcslee1

Cadet

Sometimes I feel pretty stupid. No E-tec, just a E75 model number. I have all power in the boat to raise and lower tilt and jump the starter to turn the motor over. The indicator light on the dash reads check engine. All fuses are 10 amp and good.

Chris

DGartzos

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With all due respect my friend, millennium motors, what can one do with them ?
Try an earlier year!!!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

OK, now is it a Ficht (computer driven DI motor) or carborated? A model number would help. Sounds like a Ficht to me, however.

There are some simple things that would prevent the starter from working, like the safety lanyard not connected, neutral interlock, etc.

Have you tried bypassing the solenoid to see if the starter activates?

I'd be very worried about a home fix on the fuel rail ... you've got a potential bomb there!

mcslee1

Cadet

Model # E75FXSIF. I bypassed the solenoid and it turns over fine. The boat never had a lanyard, and the nuetral interlock seems to be working. An experienced Marine Repairman told me how to fix the fuel rail. Not sure what to try next.

Chris

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Your EMM is totally different than E-Tec, so I can't give you any EMM test suggestions. OEM shop manual is the place to head now and/or a good tech trained on Ficht.

You might try Bass Boat Central (Seahorse is one of the main men) or Scream and Fly. Unlikely you'll find more help here.

mcslee1

Cadet

Could it be the shift sensor? When I turn the key you can hear a relay clicking, so the ignition switch is good.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Neutral start sw is the only one I'm aware of, and you said you checked it. Must have continuity with plunger depressed. As I said earlier, w/o a shop manual, software, etc. , you don't have a prayer.