1994 225 hp Evinrude (Buy or Buy Not)

fredfixit

Recruit
I'm jumping the gun due to limited info but would like some input. My son ran into what seems like a pretty good deal. The party is doing a repower from twins to single motor for economy reasons. He already sold one but claims what's left is the better of the two. It has 357 hrs on it and compression 105 give or take a few pound on all cyclinders (sounds a little low to me).
That's all I have at present. I'll get model and s/n, engine history (if possible)next week when he's back in town.
Guess what I'm asking now(in general), were these pretty engines? Is it worth a 5 hr drive to check it out? Any input would be appreciated, thanks

scipper77

Commander
Re: 1994 225 hp Evinrude (Buy or Buy Not)

A 225 HP outboard sounds really tempting but what is the price? I don't really know much when it comes to something like this other than that a large outboard is worth big $$$$.

So I repeat, how much are they asking?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually 105 is very good compression for those motors, they are a lower compression motor. for a 1994 357 hrs is low hours, look for rust on the steering arm, trim motor, engine bracket.

fredfixit

Recruit

Thanks for the input..
New info.. Turns out it's a 93 not 94, VRO is out, so back to mixing. It was going to come with guages, cables and prop, asking 3k. Big problem for me is, I need a 20" shaft, this one is 25.. So I'll keep looking, thanks again.