'88 15 hp Evinrude carb jet plugged?

Cornell

Cadet
Help! Ran great last year, This year as soon as you give it throttle it kills unless you choke it and get it past low/mid range then runs great at fast speed and choke pushed back in. It will idle great after warm and trolls all day. I heard that piece of gasket material will often plug up jet. Also the Carb is leaking slightly, so looks like I have to pull off the rope starter to get off the carb then new gaskets and clean out jets. Should I buy OEM gaskets from dealer or Sierra from elsewhere? Too hard to get carb off to make a mistake on gaskets. Will jets come out with good screwdriver? Never done this type of carb before.
As always, I appreciate you guys that take the time to answer.
thecruiseguy@comcast.net

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '88 15 hp Evinrude carb jet plugged?

You can by sierra or oem, maybe from right here on iboats. They do make a special tool to remove the jets. I just ground a screwdriver to fit tight in the bore, it works for me. I broke the tips on a couple of the special tools and just made my own.

Rick.

Captain
Re: '88 15 hp Evinrude carb jet plugged?

If you order a carb. kit it will come with all the gaskets you need. I have never removed the jets from my 15 carb. Just remove the needles and packing and clean it real good. The high speed jet is not removable so don't try as you will probably ruin the carb. taking it out. Have a look at this link for a great deal of information on your motor. Best of luck. Rick.
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC info.htm