1952 5hp johnson tn28

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice
hello boaters. to you mechanics out there, i just bought this motor and brought it home and tried to fire it up and the pull cord didn't recoil back. so i took it off and after further investigation i found that the spring unlatched to the pin that holds it. my question is does the spring have to be in a certain position to try to hook it back to give proper tension on the cord so the handle is tight on to the bottom of the reel. i may be doing something wrong because whatever i am doing it is not working..........argh. thanks

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1952 5hp johnson tn28

I've changed lots springs but on the later engines, so I cant help you with that one as the later ones don't have a pin. I do however have the parts manual for the '51 TN-27 if you want it PM me your email address.

And welcome to the iboats forum.

firemanfitz

Seaman Apprentice

I've changed lots springs but on the later engines, so I cant help you with that one as the later ones don't have a pin. I do however have the parts manual for the '51 TN-27 if you want it PM me your email address.

And welcome to the iboats forum.

thanks for the welcome.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Manual Starter Assembly)
(This pertains to the type of Manual Starter Housing that sits over top of the flywheel)
(J. Reeves)

Lay the manual starter housing upside down on the workbench.

Wind the spring in your hands so that you can lay it into the housing, having the outer spring end hooked over the retaining pin. Make sure the spring is in there properly (You do not want it to fly out of there).

Holding the spring down, with pliers carefully bend about 3" or 4" (more or less) on the inner portion of the spring in towards the center of the housing. This will allow the pulley pin to enter the retaining hole at the end of the spring properly.

Lay the pulley down over the spring, making sure that the pin on the pulley is secured to the retaining hole on the end of the spring. Install the spindle (center bearing gizzmo), bolt, nut, etc, whatever your particular manual starter may use.

The cord (nylon) should be roughly 72" long. Have a figure 8 knot in one end. Heat the other end so that you could form a point on it, wiping it with a rag when it's burning or hot to a melting point.

Now, with the starter housing still upside down, keeping a firm grip on that starter housing and also the pulley, start winding the pulley in the normal counter clockwise direction. Wind it as far as it will go, then carefully let it back off until the starter pulley cord hole is aligned with the housing cord outlet.

Hold the pulley there and insert the cord in through the inside of the pulley and out through the starter housing. Pull the cord through completely and get a good grip on it. Now let the pulley retract the cord, but hold onto the cord (don't let it fly in there).

If it's obvious that the cord is too long, figuring what will be needed within the handle, shorten it as needed.

Pull the cord out so that about two feet of the cord is exposed. Tie a slip knot so that the cord can't retract back.

Insert the cord into the handle and secure as needed, then release the slip knot allowing the cord to be withdrawn fully. That's all there is to it..

F_R

Supreme Mariner

(Manual Starter Assembly)
(This pertains to the type of Manual Starter Housing that sits over top of the flywheel)
(J. Reeves)

Lay the manual starter housing upside down on the workbench.

Wind the spring in your hands so that you can lay it into the housing, having the outer spring end hooked over the retaining pin. Make sure the spring is in there properly (You do not want it to fly out of there).

Holding the spring down, with pliers carefully bend about 3" or 4" (more or less) on the inner portion of the spring in towards the center of the housing. This will allow the pulley pin to enter the retaining hole at the end of the spring properly.

Lay the pulley down over the spring, making sure that the pin on the pulley is secured to the retaining hole on the end of the spring. Install the spindle (center bearing gizzmo), bolt, nut, etc, whatever your particular manual starter may use.

The cord (nylon) should be roughly 72" long. Have a figure 8 knot in one end. Heat the other end so that you could form a point on it, wiping it with a rag when it's burning or hot to a melting point.

Now, with the starter housing still upside down, keeping a firm grip on that starter housing and also the pulley, start winding the pulley in the normal counter clockwise direction. Wind it as far as it will go, then carefully let it back off until the starter pulley cord hole is aligned with the housing cord outlet.

Hold the pulley there and insert the cord in through the inside of the pulley and out through the starter housing. Pull the cord through completely and get a good grip on it. Now let the pulley retract the cord, but hold onto the cord (don't let it fly in there).

If it's obvious that the cord is too long, figuring what will be needed within the handle, shorten it as needed.

Pull the cord out so that about two feet of the cord is exposed. Tie a slip knot so that the cord can't retract back.

Insert the cord into the handle and secure as needed, then release the slip knot allowing the cord to be withdrawn fully. That's all there is to it..

Handy tip to make life easier: Before you begin, find a nail or something that will fit in the 1/8" hole in the rope pulley. Then, when you get the spring installed and wound up, stick that nail in the hole and let the pulley retract till the nail stops it. Then you will have all day to thread in the rope without having to hold that spring.

The TN has the 3 pawls on the rope pulley, right? If so, there is a spring in the equalizer cup that operates the pawls. That equalizer cup must be pre-installed on the spindle, with the spring up on the shoulder of the spindle before inserting it into the pulley. Also, the pin in the spindle has to enter the hole in the housing. Kind of tricky doing all that without the spring popping off the shoulder, but it can be done with patience. It will lock up and not work if all that is not done.

Attachments

• Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0

Kris.J

Seaman

These instructions were PERFECT for replacing the spring & rope on my TN-28, thank you!

gobluearnold

Recruit

Handy tip to make life easier: Before you begin, find a nail or something that will fit in the 1/8" hole in the rope pulley. Then, when you get the spring installed and wound up, stick that nail in the hole and let the pulley retract till the nail stops it. Then you will have all day to thread in the rope without having to hold that spring.

The TN has the 3 pawls on the rope pulley, right? If so, there is a spring in the equalizer cup that operates the pawls. That equalizer cup must be pre-installed on the spindle, with the spring up on the shoulder of the spindle before inserting it into the pulley. Also, the pin in the spindle has to enter the hole in the housing. Kind of tricky doing all that without the spring popping off the shoulder, but it can be done with patience. It will lock up and not work if all that is not done.

Hopefully the supreme commander will still be watching this thread because I need some help with my Tn-28.

I bought the 5 hp last year and rebuilt the carb, put in a new impeller and gaskets, and now all I have left is the starter.

Despite following the instructions above and looking at the photo, my recoil is not working well. The pawls do not engage after the first pull and the springs come loose. This is what I have done so far - 1. put all new springs on pawls (same length as old ones), 2. made sure the spring was installed under the shoulder of the equalizer cup, 3) made sure the spindle pin was put in the correct hole in the bottom. What I dont understand in the instructions is about the spring's location on the spindle shoulder. What I can see is the spindle shoulder goes over the equalizer cup and the spring is under that. I have looked at the photo on this link and other starter's online and the picture is what I believe I am doing.

I might be so dense that I cant see the forest for the trees or there is some information I am lacking. Any help you can give would be awesome. I am still hanging on to the hope to get the motor on the water this fall.
Thanks,

Kris.J

Seaman

Hi Arnold! "gobluearnold"... I take it you're in Michigan?

My TN-28 is still purring like a kitten - starts on the first pull, and the recoil starter is still working great since I read this thread the first time.

That said, it's been too long for me to try to write anything here to help you - but if you're within 100 miles of me I'd be happy to drive to you & give you a hand. I'm in Battle Creek.

-Kris

gobluearnold

Recruit

Hi Arnold! "gobluearnold"... I take it you're in Michigan?

My TN-28 is still purring like a kitten - starts on the first pull, and the recoil starter is still working great since I read this thread the first time.

That said, it's been too long for me to try to write anything here to help you - but if you're within 100 miles of me I'd be happy to drive to you & give you a hand. I'm in Battle Creek.

-Kris

Kris,

Thanks for the offer. There is nothing like seeing it for yourself. I do live near Ann Arbor and coming your way Sept. 5 or 6. Email me at gobluearnold@gmail.com and we will figure something out.

Paul