1969 Evinrude 115 hp no start

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8rdrew

Cadet
I have a real descent 115 electric shift motor. Until the other day absolutely no problems. the boat is in near showroom condition. Started everytime with just a tap of the key. good compression at 125lb.per cylinder. I was having issues with starting and so i replaced the plugs. it started but was running a little ruff. I cruised it for a couple hours and then took it home. I tried to start it the other day and nothing. I am getting fuel, plugs are wet. I have spark, bright blue. I looked a little further with wire conections and any other issues and only found that the flywheel woodruff key was worn. thought for sure i found the problem. Nope!. I took the flywheel off again and looked into the magneto and the pickup. dont see anything out of the norm. i still cant get it to run with only a cough when i try the starter for a few seconds and occasionally get a sputter when i am just letting off the starter to kill the the ignition.

I am lost. I think it is timing but dont know how to adjust that. The advance looks to be stationary. the sticker on the cap on the 'distrbutor' if you will, calls for the "sensor gap to be .028 inches" where do you adjust that?
the only problem I have had with this motor is occasionally the electric shift gets caught between gears. any ideas that this may have something to do with it?
The nuetral safety switch is working as well as the electric choke.
Need help. dont understand why all the sudden this beauty isnt running. please help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 Evinrude 115 hp no start

sputter when i am just letting off the starter to kill the the ignition. sign of bad ignition switch. try turning key just to the on position and jumping the starter solenoid. see what happens.

R8rdrew

Cadet

Never thought of that but i will try it. Let you know.:D

R8rdrew

Cadet

Didnt work. I cant figure it out. Makes absolutely no sense. Any more ideas? anybody?

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

is there a clipper switch on it? Is it bypassed with a "jumper" wire connecting terminal 7 to 9?

R8rdrew

Cadet

I will look into that and let you know. This motorhead is near new. I only found "Green Death" in the two wires leading from the primary coils (pickups). I will look at the wire...hell, i might just replace it for the hell of it. I will let you know. Hopefully before next year....lol. If not I will have more questions:)

cptdan

Recruit
I just fixed this problem with this ignition system on my 1969 115hp that apparently wasn't considered by CDI when they wrote up the troubleshooting notes. On mine the amplifier went out so i replaced it. The module is driven by a sensor and was gaped correctly. The follow on troubleshooting was logical but didn't result in a working motor. Finally i figured out from my electronics training that the line loss of the supply voltage ( purple wire running to the ignition switch and back to the terminal strip on the motor) was causing it to shut off momentarily when the key was released. I used a relay to supply the voltage to the module, driven by the ignition switch. Problem solved. The motor now starts and runs with 1 -2 seconds of cranking, doesn't miss, idles well, and no sputtering at higher rpms. Just a note prior to deciding this is your problem, verify your have the correct t rotors for the ignition module you are using. This is a tough problem, to get through., I can elaborate more if there is a need

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just fixed this problem with this ignition system on my 1969 115hp that apparently wasn't considered by CDI when they wrote up the troubleshooting notes. On mine the amplifier went out so i replaced it. The module is driven by a sensor and was gaped correctly. The follow on troubleshooting was logical but didn't result in a working motor. Finally i figured out from my electronics training that the line loss of the supply voltage ( purple wire running to the ignition switch and back to the terminal strip on the motor) was causing it to shut off momentarily when the key was released. I used a relay to supply the voltage to the module, driven by the ignition switch. Problem solved. The motor now starts and runs with 1 -2 seconds of cranking, doesn't miss, idles well, and no sputtering at higher rpms. Just a note prior to deciding this is your problem, verify your have the correct t rotors for the ignition module you are using. This is a tough problem, to get through., I can elaborate more if there is a need

I hope it's fixed by now. This thread is over 7 years old.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.