Evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

weebojc

Cadet
I have a 15 hp Evinrude 4 stroke that is not wanting to start up. I have used it once this year with no problems at all. It has always been a one or two pull start for me, but now won't turn over. I took apart the gas line that seats between the spark plugs on the motor and the gas came through the fuel pump to that point no problem. I then took the plug out and touched it to the side of the block while I pulled it over and had spark. After squeezing the primer bulb a few times and pulling it over once, I pulled the plugs and found they were dry.

I'm a newbie and really am not sure where to go from here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it seems impossible to find a cutaway diagram for my motor online.

Thanks,

Jamie

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke problems

You didn't say what year your motor is, but I suspect it probably looks pretty close to my 1996 9.9 4-stroke motor. Look at the picture below ... and remove the plug where the arrow is pointing ... and see if gas comes out, and if it's clean!

Lots of sites have exploded part diagrams ... give us the model # from the transom plate!

Attachments

• Carburetor.jpg
    Carburetor.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4

weebojc

Cadet

Sorry, it is a 1996. E15FREDR

I pulled the screw out and no gas came out. I even pumped the crap out of my primer bulb.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

If you pumped the primer bulb with the plug out, and you didn't get any gas pouring out the hole, then there's got to be a blockage between the primer bulb and the carburetor ... or the needle valve in the carburetor is stuck in a closed position, preventing gas from filling the bowl.

Take the fuel line off the carburetor ... and pump the bulb. If you get a flow of gas, then the problem's with the needle valve. If you still get no gas coming from the fuel line, then there's a blockage upstream ... most likely the filter screen in the fuel pump.

weebojc

Cadet

Thanks, I pulled the gas line from the carb and got good flow. Where is the needle valve?What is the corrective action, if any?
Much thanks,

Jamie

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

You'll need to remove the carburetor to get to it ... it's connected to the float inside the bowl. If you're mechanically inclined, it's not terribly hard to remove and repair. Generally, most folks buy a rebuild kit and replace all the included parts after cleaning the whole carburetor ... but you can buy just the valve and seat (part #20).

Here's a diagram from the web site I posted earlier ...

Attachments

• 1996 Evinrude 4-stroke E15FREDR - carburetor bowl.jpg
    1996 Evinrude 4-stroke E15FREDR - carburetor bowl.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2

weebojc

Cadet

Bankerjohn, you are the best! :)

I took the carb off and gave it a quick clean as a hope that it would run until I can get a rebuild kit and it worked. She started like a charm 5 times in a row.

Now I have a new problem. I realized that the little spout where water runs out after being drawn from the bottom isn't spouting any water. I had the muffs on with a full blast of water running through the hose. I suck and blew on it, as I have had them plug up before before and it was always an easy fix.

Who wants to tackle this one?? Should I be typing this up as a new post?

Thanks for your help.

Jamie

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

You might try cutting length of string trimmer line (like 18") .... and feed that in from the outside. Hopefully, you've just got a temporary blockage that you can clear, and not a failed water pump!

weebojc

Cadet

Looks like a failed water pump. I took the 6 bolts out that were holding the lower end to the top piece and can't seem to figure out how to get it off to get to my impeller. I have an old '65 65 hp Mercury that I have done this before on, but obviously it eludes me. Any help out there?

Thanks,

Jamie

usteel

Cadet

Sounds like the shift rod up top is still connected. Do not force it. Is this a manual shift tiller motor or electric with shift control.

I have the same issue, so I apologize if I'm replying to a super old thread, but this is the issue I have with my 1996 E15FREDC outboard. The previous owner said there was no spark and it wouldn't start. I put in new plugs and see spark, but it still wouldn't start. I assume the motor has been sitting since the gas that I drained out of the carb. smelled horribly old. Put in a fresh gallon of gas in the tank, the prime bulb was already pretty hard. Still no start. I then drained the carb. again, and pumped up the bulb and I could feel something pass thru and the carb filled up full. First pull and it started right away. I left the motor sit in the garage on the stand for 2 weeks and now the same thing, I can't it to start at all. Should I pull the carb. and fuel pump out as the first things to clean? This is a 1996 motor that looks and smells like bran new. Even the oil looks like brand new. I bet it was only used a couple of times.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You may want to start a new thread and get some replies. This one is over three yrs old.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just bought a 15 hp evinrude four stroke it's not pissing water and not getting fuel wat do I need to do

Start your own thread

That's good advice, Boat. This one is really over 6 years and seems to have a life of it's own. Look at the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new topic on your problem. You have a much better chance of getting the answers you need instead of rooting around in the basement.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.