Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

Mine's a 2000, and I just want to make sure I don't have any crud in them, especially that little primer hose. I can clean the larger hoses out, but for a few bucks I can just replace them. That little primer hose is gonna cause me problems though. I doubt I can get anything in there to clean it without possibly tearing it up inside, and I don't think I can get a spray can of say WD40 to spry though it to ensure it's cleaned out. I'm sure I don't want WD40 getting into my engine with my fuel/oil either.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually, there is an easy check, just remove the little hose at the carb, turn red handle to manual, turn motor over, if you get the flow it is ok. do on all carbs. the fuel from those lines do not run thru the carbs, it shoot directly into the reed vaves.

when my OMS tank was flooding my carbs, the primer system got oil in it also. that is how i cleared the lines, just disconnected and cranked until i got a good flow of fuel mix.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. Ended up having a last minute business lunch, now I'm behind, so I may not end up getting to this until Thursday now. I don't have an electric primer either, mine's manual due to manual start, tiller steer, etc. I'd assume pulling the primer knob a few times would accomplish the same thing?

iwombat

Captain

Around here, the only place you're not going to find ethanol resistant lines is at the hardware store, and they're not selling it as fuel lines. We've been running ethanol since the late 70s. Anything sold as fuel line in any kind of reputable auto parts store is properly rated.

Dunno what the rest of the country does.

ChazNY

Cadet

In this whole ethanol discussion I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned the rubber primer bulb as being a possible problem on some of the older motors. Seems to me that the squeezing and flexing of an old primer bulb could be a culprit in interior fuel line breakdown problems. Just a thought.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Think thats bad, try finding the "copper core" plug wires..