• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

Can I make my own or are they pre-molded (1987 90HP) ?

Also the one from my tank, I bought it about 8 years ago from BPS, I think TEMPO. Should I replace this ? Not sure if they were made for ethanol back then ?

Re: Fuel lines - Ethanol resistant - where can I get them ?

it will say on the hose alcohol resistant. you can get some of the hose at auto parts store, but if you need 5/32 the only place i have found it is the J/E dealer. make you own.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

I was just in this position also, looking to replace fuel lines. Contacted 3 different local marinas and not one of them knew a thing about ethanol resistant hose. Didn't even seem to think there was a problem like this. One even told me that they get there hose from the local NAPA dealer.

Then called NAPA and received the same general impression from them and was told they do not carry any hose that is labeled Ethanol resistant.

So what hose are they now using on all these injected cars that are running on ethanol blended fuels?

I understand the problem people are experiancing but what to do when the parts suppliers don't. Are the new automotive hoses resistant even though they are not labeled as such?
      1984 Lund S14 DLX, 35hp Evinrude on a Spartan Roller Tilt trailer.
      1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 under reconstruction.

Comment

I just replaced all my lines from tank to and including the carbs and got my hose at NAPA I used 5/16 Weatherhead # H10105 350 psi fuel hose. They looked it up in their book and it said it was alcohol and oil resistant. $2.90 a foot. Other fuel line they had was 50psi but their book did not say it was alcohol resistant.

Comment

you want alcohol resistant, it is not listed as ethanol resistant.

Excellent resistance to heat, ozone, and permeation by
          alcohol blended gasoline and diesel fuels. Compounded
          to meet or exceed SAE J1527 Type B, USCG - Type B, USCG
          and NMMA standards for fuel feed and vent hoses.
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

so my fuel hose from tank that is 8 years old should say on it "ALCHOL resistant"? My fuel filter is 5/16 so that should take care of a few hoses. Not sure about the others. Glad I can make my own.

Comment

The hose on my Evinrude was marked J1527 but not alcohol resistant. So I resued it after my carb rebuild as it was only a yr old and still looked new.

While talking to the parts people I did mention both alcohol and ethanol as the gas here is labeled either way at the pumps. Again they didn't think there was a problem either way!

Comment

parts people are not mechanics or technicians. most have never turned a wrench on an outboard, they no how to look up parts on a computer, or catalog, and get it off the shelf.

talk to the guy in the back, who cleans these thing all day.
                FLORIDA GATORS
                TEBOW Country

Comment

I'm not trying to argue the point that this is happening. But that there seems to be a problem relating the issue to the parts people as to what is needed and how to find the correct hose.

That's what I'm finding the issue to be. They can't seem to be able to tell me if the hose that they are suppling is resistant. Or even if it's needed.

Though again I would think that any new hose being sold at an auto parts store would have to be because here in the midwest you can't find gas that doesn't have a corn mix in it. Most is at least 10%.

Comment

Go elsewhere...get the alcohol resistant line that is listed on several auto parts web sites...don't waste your time on Homers.

Comment

if they don't know and it does not say. " SAE J1527 Type B, USCG - Type B, USCG
                      and NMMA" don't buy it. the hose will have this stamped on it in white.
                      FLORIDA GATORS
                      TEBOW Country

Comment

TD, That's just what I did. I know this subject is your "button" and it's a good cause. I can just picture others going through the same routine when they go to replace hose.

1. knowing just what to look for and 2. knowing how to find it.

I think posting those hose ID's will help many avoid trouble because I do not believe the major hose manufacturers are marking automotive hose as alcohol resistant when it is.

Also the guys here at the 2 NAPA stores I don't think of as HOMERS as they serve 4 well populated counties here in SE Wis and NE Ill. and most of the time there is a wait to even get to the counter for help while there are usually 12+ people behind the counter. Very busy store. When I called for a carb kit for my 1978 Evinrude 35hp they had 5 in stock and 2 for the fuel pump.

Comment

nowadays it is hard to find outboard fuel hose that is not alcohol resistant.If it is grey it is usually alcohol resistant
                          Make sure the plug is in

Comment

Originally posted by rolmops View Post
                            nowadays it is hard to find outboard fuel hose that is not alcohol resistant.If it is grey it is usually alcohol resistant
                            Fact is, gas containing ethanol alcohol has been a fact of life for a lot of years now, and no major auto parts stores are selling hose that won't withstand it. Think of the liability issue if they did!! Lawyer heaven.

There are two types of hose being sold for cars, the regular stuff and the super reinforced stuff for high pressure fuel injection applications.

Marine applications run up against another situation. UV protection is one of them. Harsh physical environment is another. In some cases, the hose is molded to shapes that you can't bend regular hose into.

I would not hesitate a second about using car hose on outboards, under the hood. Make your own decision.

Comment

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems to go along with the general question, so thought I'd give it a shot. If you feel I should start my own just let me know.
                              I am rebuilding carbs and replacing all lines on my 2000 55hp commercial outboard (Johnson), and am using the lines from an auto parts store. My problem/question stems from they don't have whatever that super small diameter line is from my manual primer (tiller/rope start model engine) to my carbs. They have a slightly larger diameter hose, but it's really hard to get it to seal, and fuel keeps leaking out unde pressure when I prime it, even with it zip-tied. Where do you/ya'll find this super small diameter fuel line at? I've only been to Advanced Auto Parts so far, and they didn't have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X