1956 Johnson RD-18 -looking for parts

cmulchi

Cadet
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and I need some help locating an Exhaust Housing for my 1956 Johnson RD-18E. Since I am doing a restoration for show, I am trying to locate an original replacement housing specific for the 1956 model year. Several other parties have offered housing from various years (1954-1960), but the photos do not exactly match the unit on my Johnson. Any help or source for parts would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Charles

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1956 Johnson RD-18 -looking for parts

Salvage yards.
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)

cmulchi

Cadet
Re: 1956 Johnson RD-18 -looking for parts

Thank you so much for your help. I was able to locate all parts for my RD-18, restore it and I now have an odd problem that I need some help with:

I recently rebuilt the carburator on my RD-18, which necessitated the removal of the left and right cowl brackets, starter, air box and recoil starter to get to the carburator. The rebuild went smoothly and I re-assembled the motor and re-attached the vacuum cutoff switch. I went to start up the motor and gas is now flowing OK (smelled the cylinders and exhaust). However, there is no spark to either cylinder. Since I removed the vacuum cutoff switch to do the carb rebuild, is it possible that the problem lies here? How can I check for this?

Also, prior to the rebuild, I was able to get the motor to fire up quickly using some starting fluid min the air breather box (only did it momentarily to prevent damage to pistons). So whatever I did during the rebuild seems to have triggered the problem. Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.