evinrude sportfour 65 hp 1968 sercivis and repair! questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebbbe

Seaman Apprentice
HI folks. i have a sportfour 65 hp from 68 and i think its time to do some service! the engine stod still for a few years now but i ran just fine for about 3 years ago. i just started her up i a barrel of water and the engine is running!
first think is that ist going hot on the first cylinder fairy fast but stay coold on all the ohter cylinders, what can be the reason for this and what shuld i do? its spray lots of water out the upper exhoust when starting up but decreases when the engine gets hoter. is it normal? im going to replace the impeller anyway since i never done it and i had the engine for about 12 years.
now to remove the lower unit? can i just pull it apart or must or where do i splitt the shift rod?

resum?:
1. first cylinder runing hot. why is that and what to check, do? is it just a bad waterpump or do i have a leak in the cylinderhead gasget?

2. how to remove the lower unit and is there any main think i must concern of?

3: is there any other main thinks i should check i terms of service? exept the fule and ignition system that i think is in realy good conditions.

i had this engine since i was 15 or so and i realy like it and i want to ceep
it alive and running so if you can help me ill be glad.

tanx // Sebastian

sebbbe

Seaman Apprentice
Re: evinrude sportfour 65 hp 1968 sercivis and repair! questions

Okej.
i removed the lower unit and put it in a stand on a tabel.
i removed the drain, refill plugs for the gear oil and it was plenty of water in it. about 2/3 water, 1/3 darkgray oil.
i belive i must skrew apart the gearcase and check the condition on the gears etc and to replce the seals, before i do that i want some inputs of how to do it right and if there is any major stuff to think of. the geracase cover i a solid part and looks a bit difficult to take it apart.
can i tell the gearcase i is good condition without take it apart? it spinns smoothly in both directions. must i take it apart the replace the seals or can i reach all seals from outside gearcase??

i also opened the pump house to check the impeller and it was very used
and it was some corrosion of the inside of the lid so that must be raplaced to but before i do that i must know the condition of the gearcase to se if its an option to repair it or not.

any of you know which literature to buy for my engine?
i have a repair manual for engines up to 40 hp but the lower unit dont look the same as mine so i cant use it as a good reference.

Any veterans out there that can give me some help, tip :)

sebbbe

Seaman Apprentice
Re: evinrude sportfour 65 hp 1968 sercivis and repair! questions

Anyone??

okej. i just ordered a servcie, repair manual and i hope it will lead me through the repair of the lower unit. i also ordered a water pumt repair kit. and will install it when i get the parts and book.
I have an other question about corrosiond bolts and skrews that breake of.
is there any good technique to get them out after they have broked or to
avoid it to happend? i have this little lid part that sits under the water pump house and its plenty of corrosion around it and one bolt broked. is there anything that dissolve the corrosin?

tank

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Best way to get seized bolts out is with heat. Lots of HOT heat. If the two long stud bolts, fore and aft, are seized, you got a big problem. I've had to saw them apart in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.