how to adjust idle on Johnson 9.9 1987

plb

Recruit
I have a 1987 Johnson 9.9 seahorse, It starts well but, I would like to know how to set the idle. There is a round knob next to the choke which I can turn 360 is this the mixture adjustment?
Also there is a round black knob on the side of the engine case just above the fuel pipe connection, it seems loose, it slides in and out quite freely, is this right?
PLB.::confused:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: how to adjust idle on Johnson 9.9 1987

Knob is prob low speed mixture, other is choke. You need an oners manual. You can probably download one free from BRP's website or buy from outboardbooks.com.

Rick.

Captain
Re: how to adjust idle on Johnson 9.9 1987

The one near the choke is the slow speed adjustment and the one near the fuel connection, port side is an idle speed adjustment. It is for setting a trolling speed that you can come back to every time you throttle down. Like a cruise control for low speed. It should not move in and out freely. Check here to see if you are missing any parts. There is a snap ring which holds it in place and it sounds as though it has come off. Look below and you may well find it lodged in there some where. Rick.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f