2002 Johnson 15 hp problem

scoutertraci

Recruit
I hit a rock with my prop and became dead in the water. I had no forward or reverse. You can turn the prop and hear the shaft turning inside. Everyone is telling me I lost the sheer pin. Can anyone tell me where to look? Thanks.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 Johnson 15 hp problem

I hit a rock with my prop and became dead in the water. I had no forward or reverse. You can turn the prop and hear the shaft turning inside. Everyone is telling me I lost the sheer pin. Can anyone tell me where to look? Thanks.

sheer pin.. i doubt it.... if you are talking about the sheer pin that holds the prop nut in place i really doubt thats the problem... did you loose the prop or its still in place?

have the motor in neutral and try to turn the flywheel by hand.. its easier when the spark plugs are removed.... if you can turn it then put it in gear and try to turn it ....

if motor turns but no prop then probably your lower unit is shot.... good luck

Rick.

Captain

I don't believe your engine has a shear pin. Go here and have a look but it sounds to me as though your going to have to open up the gear case for a true picture of what is broke. I bought a 9.9 parts motor once that the fellow hit a rock with and the gear case parts were smashed up pretty bad. You might try looking on Ebay for the parts once you know what you need. Best of luck. Rick.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=9764ce21ce338b0d2b998e11d01556f4

scoutertraci

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys. I looked at your links and then went out and tore open the prop and the shaft. The prop is still attached to the shaft. When I pulled out the shaft I believe the spring and balls for the shift mechanism came off. I also noticed that the prop does not want to go back on the shaft without rubbing on the case. I can't figure that out. The shaft and gears are all turning inside and look pretty good. I do not know what to do next.