9.9 Johnson lower unit re-assemble - HOW?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
How do you re-assemble the gears and shaft back into the lower unit of a 1985 Johnson 9.9 hp. The main problem I'm having is the detent balls & spring and the alighnment of the balls to the clutch dog, not sure how to get it all back in there.

Thanks

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 9.9 Johnson lower unit re-assemble - HOW?

Any ideas, I need to get this back together today, thanks

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Uh ya, apparently you don't have a manual?

A lower unit is a transmission and needs to have very precise tolerances, chances are if you did get it back together it would last a couple hours and break.

Did you take it apart and why??

Pretty sure you won't be getting that going today, asemling alower isn't something that can be answered in a post, you really need to get a manual, OMC not Clymers or Seloc or any CD.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

It was taken apart because it failed due to a snapped drive shaft - All I need to know is how to get everythig back in with out loosing the detent balls - eveything else is common sense.

Now someone must have more advise then get a manual, please - this is a OMC forum, right?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

but not a substitute for a shop manual!

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I wish I could buy a manual for every different outboard I work on but can't afford that, If I had a manual I would not be asking here. I'm just looking for a little guidance on the detent spring & balls, must be a trick someone knows so the balls don't shoot across the shop or fall in the LU.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Okay this is not brain surgery, I got the spring & balls in place, just need a tip on if you leave the shift fork in the lower unit to assemble or take fork out and put on the dog gear then slide into lower unit. Neither way is easy but I'm assuming the fork comes out and is put on dog gear then you try to align shifter to fork inside the lower unit.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Not to worry, all together works like new again. Next guy that needs help I will tell you how without the manual, just need to use your brain a little, thanks

preet083

Recruit

Not to worry, all together works like new again. Next guy that needs help I will tell you how without the manual, just need to use your brain a little, thanks

Please help me i have no idea how the shift link and dog leg work with the spring and balls. I tried putting in of course the balls were missing, and the prop was locked in both directions. I have the balls and springs now, but how do i re-assemble please help.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

This article over on LeyRoy's Ramblings gives a lot of small tricks about how to
get these '70's, '80's, early '90's small Johsonrudes back together:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

LeyRoy's Ramblings is a great source for almost anything about these engines.