74 Evinrude 70 lower unit won't drop

Grantman420

Recruit
I recently bought a used 70 hp Evinrude Triumph for my 15 foot open bow fishing boat project. It runs good on the muffs but I'm not sure of the condition of the impeller since there is no tell tale. I decided to purchase a complete impeller kit and do it myself. It looked pretty straight forward going in but now I'm stuck. I removed all of the bolts on the lower unit and removed the trim tab and marked where it was. I put the gear shift in reverse and got the lower unit to drop but only about an inch then it gets stuck on something. I removed the cotter pin at the shift arm and pulled it out toward the starboard side (slicing my finger on the motor in the process. After 4 stiches and some cuss words it still does not want to drop. Has anyone else run into this or have an idea of what it is hung up on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 74 Evinrude 70 lower unit won't drop

did the lift the lower back up, to take tension off the shift linkage. it should pop out now. then drop.

Grantman420

Recruit
Re: 74 Evinrude 70 lower unit won't drop

yep...I got it. I screwed up and disconnected the shift arm itself instead of the linkage. Guess that's what I get for not getting a factory service manual. I ended up locating the shift linkage disconnect bolt under the carbs. That was a real pain in the butt to get loose but it came apart and the lower unit droped down. Now if I can just get it all back together I should be good. Turns out after all this the impeller that was in there looked just fine. Figure I'll change it anyway since I'm in there.

jason_lumsden4

Recruit
i have recently purchased a 1974 evinrude 85hp but it is stuck in gear and will not allow me to start the motor. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i have recently purchased a 1974 evinrude 85hp but it is stuck in gear and will not allow me to start the motor. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Read the Help Tip on top of the page, then start your own topic. Thanks.