Impellor change Johnson 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

matza64

Recruit
Johnson 50hp 1982?:
I have changed the impellor in my outboard. Now it is "only to put the parts together"...
The problems i encounter is that i do not know how the long "gear shift rod" shall be rotated. It has a little bend in the upper end. Shall the bend point forward or backward?
Also, it seems like i have some problems with aligning all the parts. "Gear shift rod" upper end to fit in to its "clamp". Drive shaft. Exhaust. And there is another pipe coming from upper engine part down to next to the impellor house.

Any tips and trix for how to make it easier to assemble the parts again?

best regards from Sweden.
Matza

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Impellor change Johnson 50

If you have rotated the shift rod, you may have to set it to the correct length before reassembly. BRP's website should show the correct orientation of the bend in the parts diagrams. Try here: http://epc.brp.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Default.aspx

I try not to touch shift rods when taking off LU's for that reason. Sometimes it can be challenging to replace a LU. It helps to have a helper who can rock the flywheel to help the driveshaft get started in the lower crank end.

icucko

Recruit
Re: Impellor change Johnson 50

HI ALL !!!

Please if someone know which impellor going in Johnson 50hp OMC 2000 Year.

Cheers,

ivo

jwade

Recruit
Could someone describe to me which screw needs to be taken out to free up the shift rod up top. I took my Johnson 150 foot off a few time, but 50 HP is different. Incidentally, the reason I had to take 150 foot off multiple times, is because I did not head the advise in this forum about being careful with turning the shift rod. Good advise.

There are two screws. One horizontal, on the end, and the other vertical at angle front to back.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Could someone describe to me which screw needs to be taken out to free up the shift rod up top. I took my Johnson 150 foot off a few time, but 50 HP is different. Incidentally, the reason I had to take 150 foot off multiple times, is because I did not head the advise in this forum about being careful with turning the shift rod. Good advise.

There are two screws. One horizontal, on the end, and the other vertical at angle front to back.

Sure. You start a new thread instead of posting in this old thing.. Got a manual?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.