Evinrude Shuts off after 10 -15 minutes running, and will not refire

dopeyferree

Recruit
I have a 1994 or 95 150 hp Evinrude outboard that shuts off after about 10-15 minutes. It fires just fine when cold but after running a little bit it just completely shuts off, no sputtering or anything just dead. It will not restart for a while afterwards, After giving it 30-45 minutes it will restart and run great for a little bit then does it all over again. I dont believe its a fuel issue since it doesnt sputter at all it just completely dies as if we turned the key off. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Having my fishing boat towed back to the dock 3 times, by a waverunner twice, is getting old.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude Shuts off after 10 -15 minutes running, and will not refire

99% power pack heating up and failing.

dopeyferree

Recruit

Is there anyway to test the one on there now or do you just have to try and replace it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sure, run the motor at the dock or on a hose with the cover off. Heat the PP with a hair dryer or heat gun. If you use a heat gun, be very careful not to apply too much heat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jim meant to add, "put a timing light on a spark plug wire, and when the motor dies, crank it and check for spark. If you have none, suspect to powerpack".

Of course, an OEM manual will have more in depth tests for the PP, trigger, stator etc.

Sorry to butt in Jim.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Yeh, or just wait for it to stop ... either way, not long.