1992 Evinrude 48 special tilt assist problem, please help!!!

moochis

Recruit
I am having a problem with my tilt assist on my 1992 Evinrude 48 special. The motor is stuck in the down position, I am unable to move it back up.. I do not have a tilt/trim switch.. Only tilt assist, how can I get this motor in the upright position so I can tow it to be repaired? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am out of Ideas.. I've called a few shops and they tell me this was a stupid design (which isn't so hard to believe) one guy told me I have to pull the motor off to fix it... but I am thinking there has to be something I can do without having to pull the motor off in order to get this thing up? Please help!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1992 Evinrude 48 special tilt assist problem, please help!!!

Is this a manual tilt?
Its not an elec powered tilt right?

The release cable might be stuck or broke.

You could try removing the prop for the drive.?

karlow1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look under the engine at the tilt assist cyclinder. Remove the lower attachement bolt. then you can raise the engine (with the cylinder attached).

Good luck

moochis

Recruit

Thank you for replying... I actually did that while I was waiting to see if anyone would reply. I ended up freed the thing up by adjusting the cable wire, it would only work when I pulled on the wire from the bottom where it connects.. After adjusting, everything works just fine again... I know I will have the same problem in the future (crossing fingers) but at least this time around ill know what to do.. I've had my boat out of the water for a few months now.. It will be nice to be able to get it back in and start catching some dinner again. Anyone have any suggestions on power tilt for the 92 evinrude 48?

bgweiss

Recruit

I have the same problem. Where is the cable wire?

ginger09

Recruit

hey guys thanks for the help, my 92 40hp evinrude would not tilt down, thought it was the tilt cylinder adjusted my tilt cable and it works like charm now thanks agin.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This thread is over 4 years old. Please start a new one if you have to.