Johnson Seahorse 4hp Deluxe No Water?

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice
I have recently purchased a lovely Johnson 4hp Seahorse Deluxe outboard engine to power my tender but it isnt pumping any water. It has had a new impeller installed so that is okay, but there is still no water coming out of the telltale. Looking at previous posts I have read that there is a figure of 8 channel around the head that can get blocked, how would I go about unblocking this? Also is anyone able to date my engine for me from the model number?

The engine is a Johnson Seahorse 4hp Deluxe J4RDHCRM serial no: B001647

Thanks!
Louis :)

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson Seahorse 4hp Deluxe No Water?

The letters CR in the model number indicate 1984.

I cannot find diagrams of the deluxe model. Is that the one with FNR gears rather than 360? swivel steering?

Does it have a telltale outlet in the rear corner of the lower cover ? I thought not but if it does then check that it is not blocked. Check the outlet and the rubber tube and the fitting at the engine end.

Or are you calling the exhaust relief outlet on the back of the exhaust housing the tell tale? You'll only get a spray or mist or a few drops from there mixed with exhaust gas.

Recurring trouble I have with a 6hp is that corrosion around the grommet at the top of the water-tube squeezes that over the top of the tube and cuts off the water flow. I think the 4hp is different but that may be something to bear in mind.

The water tube may not be refitted in the pump properly.

Is it actually overheating? You should be able to touch the cylinder block for a couple of second or so (not the exhaust cover or the head around the plugs) and splash of water should not sizzle.

Yes the channels in the head can become blocked and its a head off job to clear them. Don't rush at that though, check all the other possibilities first including the possibility that you do not actually have a problem at all.

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. The engine was overheating as water sizzled if dripped on the head. It is the model with a telltale above the exhaust. the deluxe model also has FNR, much better than the 360 degree steering!
I have tried flushing the engine from the bottom of the leg and it flushed some muck out and then ran clear. I also checked the impeller seeing as I didnt replace it myself and found a rubber ring wedged down the pipe so pulled it out and put it back on the pipe where it should have been. Put it all together and hey presto all is good! Just need to give the carb a good clean out and she should run great!

Thanks again for the help!
Louis

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I have an old brochure from 1984 . Its one for the UK. It shows several versions of the 4hp. Standard and deluxe both with integral tanks and with remote tanks. Same powerhead under the cover though.
The Deluxe ones are about 8 kg heavier so for something easily portable for a small dinghy the standard model might be the preferred choice, especially the version with an integral fuel tank

Glad to her you have solved the cooling problems, and thanks for the feedback.

larryfeusse

Recruit

I am interested in buying a 4 hp deluxe. Would you be interested in selling yours? Please call me at 989-681-5700.

Thanks,
Larry

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Larry, She is running great on my little boat now, and sadly not for sale. Many Thanks, Louis

carlschubert

Recruit

HI,

I have just boat a small boat and this engine came with it.

where ever i look to buy parts for this motor i cant find the same model number. if you enter the number in google this is the only place it comes up.

can anyone help direct me where to buy parts for it, or an equivalent model number so i can order parts for it.

need a new spring for the pull start, new spark plugs, and if i go for it, thought i would change cylinder head gasket and pistons and rings, give it a good overhaul, probably hasn?t had one in its lifetime and cant really afford any of the 4 horses to escape.

thanks

Carl