92 Johnson v4 "4 deluxe or not?"

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, I have a 92 Johnson 90 horse on my Lund I just bought. I want to change the gear lube in it, but the manual says to use a specific type of gear lube if the motor is a "4 Deluxe" I checked every where in my manual to find out how you can tell between the 90 degree V4 crossflow, or the 4 Deluxe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. John

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 92 Johnson v4 "4 deluxe or not?"

The 4 Deluxe is a 4hp twin cyl. kicker.

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks en2, I just got back home with a shop manual I just bought and sure enough it was in there. Thanks again for the reply. John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Changing lower unit oil

There are 2 straight slot screw on the starboard side of the lower unit. Top is vent plug, bottom, drain and fill plug. ( do not touch Phillips head screw).

Remove the bottom plug, put container under lower unit, now remove the vent plug, while the oil is draining, replace the seals on the plugs part # 311598, buy several of these, ( they are a one time use item)

Walmart and many places sell a little hand pump. To use to fill the unit, you insert the tube into the bottom hole, and pump till oil reaches the vent hole. Install the vent screw, then remove hose, install the drain-fill screw, clean up mess.

The screws can be hard to get out, do not mess up the head. You may need to employ an impact screw driver to break them loose.