oil injection holding tank

Pontoonfun

Cadet
I need a new oil injection holding tank for a 40 hp Johnson Sun Tracker outboard any ideas where to buy one...

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: oil injection holding tank

A new one will cost you $150+, available through any dealer or online OEM parts seller.

If you know which kind you need, you can often find them in excellent used condition for $30-75 on ebay and possibly on craigslist.

As far as I know (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong), there are many, many parts numbers for tanks out there because of superceded p/n's. BUT, they are all the same in the way they deliver oil to the fuel pump and therefore are interchangable except for one difference. The only difference is in the "low oil" sensor signal which is sent to the alarm system, and among all the P/N's out there, there are really only two types (4 actually- each type has 1.8 and 3.0 gallon versions).

One type is for "system check" gauges, the other for the systems with just the audible alarms. I do not believe - but am not sure - that they aren't interchangable becasuse the wiring that comes out from the tank to the engine have different connectors for the two types. In addition, I believe the signal that the sensor sends to the alarm system is different.

Generally you will see them described as "for system check engines" or "for non-system check engines" or "1995 and older" (for non-system check) or "1996 and newer" (for system check).

Hope that makes sense.

So, first determine if your alarms are "system check" type - audible + light.... or audible only. Then look on ebay for the kind you think you need.

Again, I'm not absolutely sure about this and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.