1959 3 hp Johnson points timing

tobianos8

Recruit
My question is do I keep the tiller handle at the STOP position when setting the points gap or at the START position? I am in the process of adding new points, condensors and coils and I plan on checking gap with my ohm meter. The manual I have was no help. I have read on several sites how to check gap using an ohm meter but it does not say where to keep the tiller position either. My guess is at the stop position but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance, John

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1959 3 hp Johnson points timing

When you get the flywheel off, look down on the crankshaft from above...you'll notice it's not perfectly round, it's eccentric or out of round a little. The word Top or a small arrow may be stamped near the eccentric lobe. With the plug(s) out rotate the prop until the points open, the points cam will be near/at the Top mark. Set the points to the correct gap, tighten them down and you are good to go. Now look in the throat of the carb, when the throttle is on Start the rear carb butterfly should be just cracked open a bit and it should move smoothly open as you turn the throttle to Fast. That's how to set the points, and then check the throttle/carb/timing synch.

tobianos8

Recruit

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is I have the points set to the correct gap in relation to the high spot on the cam. I'm trying to fine tune the point gap to the 2 timing marks on the flywheel using an ohm meter. Thats where the question comes in as to where to check it at either on the STOP position or the START position?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the quick reply. My problem is I have the points set to the correct gap in relation to the high spot on the cam. I'm trying to fine tune the point gap to the 2 timing marks on the flywheel using an ohm meter. Thats where the question comes in as to where to check it at either on the STOP position or the START position?

It makes no difference. I could type a paragraph explaining why, or you can just trust me. It truly makes no difference. BTW, I make the timing fixtures shown in the manual.

duff1960

Recruit

My question is do I keep the tiller handle at the STOP position when setting the points gap or at the START position? I am in the process of adding new points, condensors and coils and I plan on checking gap with my ohm meter. The manual I have was no help. I have read on several sites how to check gap using an ohm meter but it does not say where to keep the tiller position either. My guess is at the stop position but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance, John

There is a very good video on YouTube explaining setting ignition points with a multimeter. He does this on a 1956, 15 HP Johnson in this demo. The video is called, " Fine Tuning Points with a VOM Meter, Small Engine, Outbooards." Hope it helps.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

There is a very good video on YouTube explaining setting ignition points with a multimeter. He does this on a 1956, 15 HP Johnson in this demo. The video is called, " Fine Tuning Points with a VOM Meter, Small Engine, Outbooards." Hope it helps.

4 year old thread chief, the O.P. is long gone...

BTW
Welcome to Iboats! You may want to take a look at our forum rules ;) ;http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.html