'97 Johnson 50 Tilt Assist Problems

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
Model #J50ESLEUS

I'm prepping my '97 Johnson 50hp to mount on the back of my MFG once the transom is poured. Today I decided to tango with the tilt assist. It has a little bit of play, but won't allow the motor to be lifted.

I took the bottom mounting bolt out so I could tilt the motor up and gain access to the unit:

HPIM0861.jpg

I can't get the top mounting pin out!:confused: It looks like I should be able to tap it out from the port side (blue arrow) and it should pop out the starboard side (red arrow). Is this right, because I can't get it to budge? I have penetrating oil soaking on it now.

HPIM0863.jpg

HPIM0864.jpg

I'm guessing by the damaged parts in the next couple of pictures that I'm going to need a "new" used unit. What do you think?

Dangling line that's connected to nothing:

HPIM0865.jpg

Here's what 1 end of the line is supposed to connect to, but the threads were torn up by somebody's pliers at some point:

HPIM0866.jpg

As always, thanks in advance! - Bob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '97 Johnson 50 Tilt Assist Problems

the hanging wire is the release.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If there aren't any retaining clips on that pin you are trying to remove, it could be that it is pressed in...they must have engineered a way for it not to fall out right?

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

It had a cotter pin on the end with the blue arrow that I removed. I'll give it a few goo whacks when I get home from work.:D

BOB

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

I can't get that darn pin to move even a fraction of a millimeter!!:mad:

Has anyone here removed one of these before? Am I missing something obvious??:confused: I'm at a complete loss.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to replace the whole assembly, but first I have to get the old one out. PLEASE HELP!

BOB

jonesg

Admiral

I can't get that darn pin to move even a fraction of a millimeter!!:mad:

BOB

using what?

have you tried a 3lb short handled sledgehammer driving a drift?
an air impact hammer?

a regular hammer is good for driving nails,
compare a nail to what you are trying to move.:eek:

be carefull not to mushroom the end of the pin.
Also try hitting it from the other side, driving it home first then out.
Also see if you can grab it in the middle from underneath and rotate it.
As a last resort theres always the blue wrench.;)

karlow1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks like a $500 problem.
I have the same sort of issue on my 40HP.
The bigger issue is tilt assist cylinders are a POS.
Typically if you find one on Ebay it does not work.
On my motor, the top pin is also stuck. The easy fix is to put it back together and add an aftermarket tilt unit. Used on Ebay, about $500. The other solution is to find the OEM electric tilt unit. Used on Ebay $500-$700. The second solution requires the removal of the pin. Have you tried to pull the pin in the center of your valve to see if it will do anything? On my unit it was very hard to pull up. When you did, it would release but w/o any assistance. I could not get enough force with the release lever. About a week ago I picked up the aftermarket trim unit for $250 complete with relays, cable and switch. I installed it to day. Now I don't have to remove that pin.

Good luck with yours

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks or the responses. I let the penetrating oil soak in with little effect.

jonesg -I was using a 1lb dead-blow, but was very gentle with it so I didn't mushroom the one end like you said. The blue wrench is sounding about right at this point!:D First I'll try the "orange" wrench though. Maybe I can get the metal to shrink enough to pound it through.

karlow1 - I'm able to get a good used unit, I just need to get the old one off!

Today I was looking at the larger flared end (red arrow) and noticed that the hole in the center is threaded!:eek: Am I on the wrong path of removal here?!?

HPIM0864.jpg

BOB

rustytrout

Recruit

Bob:

I feel your pain. Been through the same nightmare and reliving it right now. That is how I found this forum!

Anyway, those are bushings (at least on mine 1998 Johnson 50). See this diagram: http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/116.cfm

I had to drill them out. Mine did not have a cotter pin though - puzzling.

I have decided to convert to pwr t/t if I can figure out what parts I need and can stay below the cost of a CMC unit.

Good luck.
RT

Fish929

Seaman

Landscaping Wiz 808, did you ever get that pin out? I'm trying to do the same thing on my 2000 Johnson 50. It looks just like yours and its stuck. Thanks

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Fish929 - Sorry about that, I guess I did kinda leave the thread hanging. I did get it out, but I had to use somewhat unconventional methods.:rolleyes:

I ended up carefully grinding off the head of the pin - red arrow:
HPIM0864.jpg

Now that I had easy access to the pin I used a long (12") center punch to start pounding it through with a heavy hammer from the newly ground off side. The flange on the port side of the engine only allowed the pin to move about 1.25" so I used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade to cut it off flush. Then I repeated the above process until the pin was out. The blue arrow is where I made the cuts:
HPIM0863.jpg

Here's the old unit removed:
001.jpg

And the new (used) unit went in with no problems:
002-1.jpg

There's no way to get a clear shot at the port side of that pin so if it gets even slightly bent it's almost impossible to get out - clearly a design flaw if you ask me!:confused: This is the only thing I could think of that actually worked. If it sounds like a pain in the neck that's because it is, but hey, now I can tilt my motor again - HOORAY! I hope this helps.

BOB

karlow1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone checked to see if the mounting bracket is a two piece assembly?
If so it might be easier to split it in half to gain access to the frozen pin. I like my solution better. The $200 CMC trim unit is working OK, it does sound like it has air in it when it's going up, but up it goes!

KP

Fish929

Seaman

That's pretty intense. Not sure I have the tools or the know how to do all that. Glad you got it out.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Has anyone checked to see if the mounting bracket is a two piece assembly?
If so it might be easier to split it in half to gain access to the frozen pin. I like my solution better. The $200 CMC trim unit is working OK, it does sound like it has air in it when it's going up, but up it goes!

KP

I here you, CMC t/t units are very nice! I've been looking for a used one at a good price for a while, but haven't been able to find one yet. Winter is always a good time to find boat stuff cheap, so maybe I'll get lucky. Nice score on the $200 t/t!

BOB

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

That's pretty intense. Not sure I have the tools or the know how to do all that. Glad you got it out.

The list of needed tools are as follows: dead-blow hammer, center punch, grinder, reciprocating saw, eye & ear protection. Sounds expensive, but Harbor Freight tools are perfect for this type of work...and the price is right too!;)

BOB

Johnsonfan14

Recruit

hi bob i have checked out the other posts and i would agree with them but next time you do this get a torch and heat up the 2 aluminum pieces the pin goes thru.oil it up like you did and the pin will come out with 2-3 bangs.(depending on how badly corroded your motor is.hope this helps

Johnsonfan14

Recruit

also dont get those tilt assist units the trim units are a heck of alot better.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

hi bob i have checked out the other posts and i would agree with them but next time you do this get a torch and heat up the 2 aluminum pieces the pin goes thru.oil it up like you did and the pin will come out with 2-3 bangs.(depending on how badly corroded your motor is.hope this helps

Anything you can think of, I tried it... it didn't work. That's why I had to go through all of the above.

BOB