Johnson Outboard Fuel Mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luv2Fish2512

Recruit
I recently acquired a 6hp Johnson Seahorse Model #6RL-73S. :) I assume based on the model number this is a 1973 model engine. I need to know what oil/gas mixture I should use. I also wanted to know if I should be using just regular 2-cycle oil or the Marine oil?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson Outboard Fuel Mixture

correct 1973, 50 : 1 TC-W3 rated outboard motor oil.

mugwump

Recruit

Hi Guys, just purchased 1986 Johnson 20hp. Everything I find on here says fuel mix is 50 to 1, on the side of the motor it says 100 to 1. Whats correct? Thanks Mugwump

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Guys, just purchased 1986 Johnson 20hp. Everything I find on here says fuel mix is 50 to 1, on the side of the motor it says 100 to 1. Whats correct? Thanks Mugwump

For a while they were selling the motors as 100:1 mix. They then decided that 100:1 was not adequate (I think it was because of insufficient residual lubrication when not operating - causing corrosion - rather than insufficient lubrication during operation. BUt I'm not sure of that).

Anyway, they then changed the recommended mix ratio for those 100:1 engines back to 50:1. That is what you should mix at.

baby budha

Recruit

I have a 5.5 hp Seahorse SN.2252436 Mod. #CD-19-S .I need to know what year mine is and what fuel mix to use also

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hey all you first time posters. Welcome to iboats, however you should all start your own threads for your questions.

Putnam

Recruit
hello, new to the group and new boat owner. i was given a bass tracker pro 17 with a 98 johnson spl 50. my question is about the fuel mix system. it has two tanks one fuel and one oil. the vro? has only one inlet and one outlet. how do i get it to pull from both tanks and mix properly? IMG_4974.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The picture shows an older simple fuel pump.----It is NOT a VRO unit.----You must mix yourself at 50:1 ratio !!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
hello, new to the group and new boat owner. i was given a bass tracker pro 17 with a 98 johnson spl 50. my question is about the fuel mix system. it has two tanks one fuel and one oil. the vro? has only one inlet and one outlet. how do i get it to pull from both tanks and mix properly?

This is a 7 year old post should start your own. If the VRO is hooked up there are 2 inlets one for oil and one for fuel and only one outlet for the fuel mix to the carbs. As racer said yours has been removed so mix the fuel and remove the oil tank

Last edited:

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can cut the lower oil hose and remove the oil tank and wire harness to save some weight and gain some room. The vro pump is gone.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
hello, new to the group and new boat owner. i was given a bass tracker pro 17 with a 98 johnson spl 50. my question is about the fuel mix system. it has two tanks one fuel and one oil. the vro? has only one inlet and one outlet. how do i get it to pull from both tanks and mix properly?

Putnam - Please start new threads when asking questions about your motor. Look at the Help Tip on top of the page. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.