omc gas tank on a yamaha

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a bunch of omc gas tanks and omc motors, but only one yamaha motor and gas tank. the basic design of the fuel fittings and lines looks the same, but is it really? because my yamaha tank is all metal and leaves rust stains on my boat and i trust plastic more... and well i have plenty of spare omc tanks. but i will go ahead an buy a new plastic yamaha tank if necessary.

-peter

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: omc gas tank on a yamaha

The fittings are different but you can just cut the omc fitting off the motor side, and get a yamaha fitting from wal-mart to put on there.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

My bad, thought they were different. They have different part numbers on the packages.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

There may be something different, but i have 3 omc tanks with omc fittings that plug right into my 6 hp yamaha and run all day. That's not a technical answer of course..But they all work just fine.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if necessary change fittings,i have a chrysler 20 hp that i fool around with once in a blue moon and what i did with it was i changed the fitting at the motor to match my seven or so omc,s.for you just take a tank and change at the tank or if previously mentioned they match anyways your in!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Thats funny, I have an Evinrude and I run a Yamaha gas tank, they used to send one with every engine but we have all built in tanks so they set 2 skids of them out for the taking, I got 4 and gave 2 away.

Ya just change the ends on the hose, the motor doesn't care what the tank says.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a diameter difference, it is more noticable running yamaha fitting on and J/E motor, they leak on the J/E motors. a fuel tank is just a fuel tank, you can attach any fitting to it.