omc side mount control on 63 elec. shift 75 hp johnson

jrporath

Cadet
I just this boat and the controls are omc. the motor is a 1963 Johnson 75 horse electric, super sea horse. I don't understand how the controls work with the motor. the controls have two handles, one with a red top and one with a black, black on the inside and shorter. no switches and and two black knobs. a idle stop and throttle tension. no electric components. two cables go to the motor and I dont see anything electric on the motor that would be activated by them. any help? I feel lost. I need to know what lever does what. I was told by the previous owner that he could never get reverse to work either. I think that it might have the wrong controls or need adjustment. I just dont get it. thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc side mount control on 63 elec. shift 75 hp johnson

jr....are you sure it's electric shift? You have a control for a manual shift....that's the short handle. The longer handle is throttle. Look inside the motor cover and see if both control cables are connected to anything on the engine. Also, look on either side of the engine block toward the base, also inside the engine cover, and see if you see two wires coming up from what will apear to be the mid section. If it's an electric shift, they should be there possible marked with a green and blue collar.

jrporath

Cadet

the model number is V4SL 15 R I hope this will help. it is what i used to look up the motor info.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

the model number is V4SL 15 R I hope this will help. it is what i used to look up the motor info.

You do not have an electric shift motor. The electric shift models are V4AL-xx. Besides, there is no place to attach a shift cable to an electric shift one.

If you don't even know how the control works, it sounds like you should get an owner's manual to learn the raw basics of care and operation. They are available from www.outboardbooks.com Of course, that won't help if it is broke and needs fixed.

jrporath

Cadet

Thanks for your time I'm off to get a manual.