Tell-Tale Nozzle is slowly shooting out and Engine smokes

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
1984 Evinrude 115 HP Outboard. Top end rebuilt 5 years ago. De winterized it this past weekend, and when I used it, it smoked a bit and the tell-tale nozzle, which used to have a good stream, had a very weak stream, more like a dribble. The engine also was smoking a little, but I think that's because it was running too rich. Anyone able to tell me what I need to do? Thx!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Tell-Tale Nozzle is slowly shooting out and Engine smokes

Clean through the telltale outlet nipple, the hose and the connection on the engine. It may simply be blocked or become home to an insect or two.
If that fails the water pump impeller becomes suspect if not changed recently and the engine is overheating. Hopefully if the unit was properly rebuilt all the waterways were cleaned then.

If it was properly fogged during the winterising it'll smoke until all the fogging oil is burnt off.
Carb jets are fixed so no scope for adjusting mixture.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you. I replaced the impeller back in 2004 and the water was running fine since 2004, that is when I rebuilt the tops. I will check the tell tale nozzle, and I think you are right on the fogging oil still burning off.

Is it hard to replace the impeller? Might have to do that.

I think that the prop I put on, with a new hub, is bad as well, because if I give it too much gas too fast, it just spins. Prop and hub are new, but I think they are not right for the boat.

Thx.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If the impeller has seen 5 years service replacing it is not unreasonable.

Compared to some jobs it's not that difficult. Provided the bolts come out, the shaft pulls out from the crankshaft and acces to disconnect the top of the one piece shift rod is not too bad!

it sounds as though you may have a spun hub in the prop. Check it by marking the end of the shaft and the prop. Give it a run to the point where it slips then if the marks no longer line up it is spun.