1952 johnson 5hp carb kit? EDIT primer leak solution?

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '52 johnson 5hp and the carb is leaking bbadly where the primer button/fuel adjustment(?) goes into the carb... I'm not seeing any carb kits in the iboats store...does anyone have info on where to get parts for this motor? Or tips for fixing this? Motor given to me by my Grandpa and hope to pass it on to future generations.
ps. years ago someone told parts can't be found for this and I bought a whole other motor for parts but still would like to have fresh gaskets ect.

EDIT
OK... figured out how to do pics... so thought before I tear it apart I'd post a couple to see if (hopefully) it's simplier than a rebuild (I want to be fishin' a few miles out on Lake Erie tomorrow!)
Any feedback is greatly appreciated

2nd EDIT...
Here is the respose from Lloyd at aomci... sounds great I'm sending my $6!!

If your old Johnson drips fuel from the carburetor when you push the primer, you need these seals and instructions. If you have tried rubber O-rings or other materials, you already know they won't work. These are new seals made from pump leather, as original, and fit all old 5hp, 4.2hp, and 2.5hp Johnsons including Models TD,TN,AT,LT,DT,HD,HA,HS, etc. Includes detailed diagrams and instructions for proper installation that are not found in the Factory Service Manuals. The instructions alone are indispensable. Not necessary to remove carburetor. Send $6.00 cash only and SASE (self adressed stamped envelope) to: Lloyd Lautner, 9289 North Long Lake Road, Traverse City, Michigan 49684 Stop leaking and keep yourself and the "tree huggers" happy!
Lloyd Lautner AOMCI
Hope this helps someone.... and thanks again to all those that helped me.
Dave

Attachments

• 52 leak#1.jpg
    52 leak#1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 52 leak#2.jpg
    52 leak#2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1952 johnson 5hp carb kit?

Forgot to mention the motor starts right up and runs fine as long as I keep pushing the primer button... still leaks profusely but runs good.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What model is it? A TN? Most folks make their own gaskets for them.

wbeaton

Commander

What model is it? A TN? Most folks make their own gaskets for them.

There is no carb kit available for it. I think there is a leather washer that seals the primer. Ask your question over at AOMCI.org. I believe one of the members makes them.

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the tips guys.

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

HMMM, make my own gaskets!!! I remember Dad cutting up cherrio boxes to make thermostat gaskets for the old '68 ford 150.... don't know why i didn't think of that before. Would it be feasable to make a gasket for the primer valve/button from rubber instead leather? I'll find out this week and post the results.

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

yes it is a TN 28 given to me by my Grandpa... I also have a TN 27 which I bought off ebay for parts for my tn 28. not sure how well these interchange... and certainly wouldn't want use any of the common failing parts which can still be found at parts suppliers. Since I bought the 27 I've had thoughts of twin '52 johnson 5hp's on my "canoetoon"... after a few Lake Erie trips and the purchase of a '54 10hp, I'm considering having the 10hp as the main drive and a 5hp as a tiller, backup motor

Last edited:

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1952 johnson 5hp carb kit? EDIT added pics

Just wanted to say that I added some pics. Hope I'm not out of ediquitte(sp)!

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

This is a timely topic. Does the kit at vintageoutboard.com now include the leather washers? My 1950 TN-26 was professionally restored last year. It runs very well but I found that it leaked fuel out of the very same spot on the side carb as you have indicated. The high speed mixture wheel and fuel plunger functions are combined on the same assembly. I find that my mixture wheel turns too easily and the plunger feels a bit free as well. That sounds like those elusive leather washers were not part of the kit.

Hopefully those washers are part of the kit now; otherwise I guess I'll need to contact Lloyd at AOMCI somehow.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

This is a timely topic. Does the kit at vintageoutboard.com now include the leather washers? My 1950 TN-26 was professionally restored last year. It runs very well but I found that it leaked fuel out of the very same spot on the side carb as you have indicated. The high speed mixture wheel and fuel plunger functions are combined on the same assembly. I find that my mixture wheel turns too easily and the plunger feels a bit free as well. That sounds like those elusive leather washers were not part of the kit.

Hopefully those washers are part of the kit now; otherwise I guess I'll need to contact Lloyd at AOMCI somehow.

Lloyd is a frequent contributor at the aomci Ask-A-Member forum. Find him there.

whfh99

Cadet
Re: 1952 johnson 5hp carb kit & diagram?

Re: 1952 johnson 5hp carb kit & diagram?

Hi everyone. I just bought a used TN28 5hp from the original owner yesterday. The carb was gummed up so I took it part and am in need of gaskets. I see mention of the kit at vintageoutboard.com but wanted to know what else might I need. Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced service manual or at least a diagram of the carb assembly? I have a pretty good memory but like to be sure! : )

Thanks,

Link

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have the original Johnson TN-27, TN28 part's manual, I may have the service manual, PM me.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have the original Johnson TN-27, TN28 part's manual, I may have the service manual, PM me.

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

I have a TN-27 and a TN-28 would love to find owners and parts manuals for them!

Re: 1952 johnson 5hp carb kit? EDIT primer leak solution?

I have a '52 johnson 5hp and the carb is leaking bbadly where the primer button/fuel adjustment(?) goes into the carb... I'm not seeing any carb kits in the iboats store...does anyone have info on where to get parts for this motor? Or tips for fixing this? Motor given to me by my Grandpa and hope to pass it on to future generations.
ps. years ago someone told parts can't be found for this and I bought a whole other motor for parts but still would like to have fresh gaskets ect.

EDIT
OK... figured out how to do pics... so thought before I tear it apart I'd post a couple to see if (hopefully) it's simplier than a rebuild (I want to be fishin' a few miles out on Lake Erie tomorrow!)
Any feedback is greatly appreciated

2nd EDIT...
Here is the respose from Lloyd at aomci... sounds great I'm sending my $6!!

If your old Johnson drips fuel from the carburetor when you push the primer, you need these seals and instructions. If you have tried rubber O-rings or other materials, you already know they won't work. These are new seals made from pump leather, as original, and fit all old 5hp, 4.2hp, and 2.5hp Johnsons including Models TD,TN,AT,LT,DT,HD,HA,HS, etc. Includes detailed diagrams and instructions for proper installation that are not found in the Factory Service Manuals. The instructions alone are indispensable. Not necessary to remove carburetor. Send $6.00 cash only and SASE (self adressed stamped envelope) to: Lloyd Lautner, 9289 North Long Lake Road, Traverse City, Michigan 49684 Stop leaking and keep yourself and the "tree huggers" happy!
Lloyd Lautner AOMCI
Hope this helps someone.... and thanks again to all those that helped me.
Dave

FYI: The price of the leather seals and instructions increased to $7.00 several years ago. I know of no other place to get them, and that's why I still make them. It's my small contribution to the hobby of keeping these great old motors running as they should. More good information available at pochefamily.org/outboard
Best regards and Have fun.
Lloyd

AlumacraftBoats058.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1952 johnson 5hp carb kit? EDIT primer leak solution?

Lloyd glad to see you over here on iboats. The members will appreciate your experiene.