'83 115 evinrude oil leak

kybarb333

Cadet
Oil is dripping from the crack between the upper part of the prop and the lower. not sure of technical names i'm new to all this.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: '83 115 evinrude oil leak

Oil is dripping from the crack between the upper part of the prop and the lower. not sure of technical names i'm new to all this.

upper part of the prop and lower ?!

is something cracked or do you mean a seam, a joint that is supposed to be there.?

what does the oil look like, does it smell like sulphur ? what color is it?

give as many facts as possible, photos are good too if you don't know the terms.

more info pleese.:D

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Excess engine lubricating oil from incomplete combustion passes out of the engine with the exhaust on your motor, most of which passes through the propeller. It is normal to have some of that dark oil at the propeller after standing as the engine is self draining.

If the motor has been run on muffs, or only at low speed, the amount ofthe oil draining will increase.

kybarb333

Cadet

It's from the seam between upper and lower. It's black and I haven't noticed a smell. Should I be worried.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

No, that's from the exhaust. There is a rubber seal between the inner exhaust and the gearcase that may need to be repaired,

kybarb333

Cadet

what should my oil mixture be? I think I'm running too rich right now.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

50:1

Use TC-W3 synthetic or synthetic blend and it will run cleaner if the thermostats are working properly.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If it is thick, black and oily, it is residual fluid from the exhaust tube and could well be the rubber seal in the bottom of the lower exhaust tube that ezeke refers to. If that seal is leaking, exhaust is escaping onto the top of the lower, and could affect the plastic water pump housing.

kybarb333

Cadet

how would one go about replacing that seal that you speak of?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You need to drop the lower unit and inspect the rubber seal that mounts between the lower unit and the bottom of the lower exhaust tube.

kybarb333

Cadet

Is that something a beginner could do or should I find a mechanic?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The only hard part about dropping the lower unit is getting the shift rod detached under the lower carb. Have you got a factory service manual for that specific engine?

swampfrog88

Cadet

We have a 1995 115 evinrude outboard oil leak coming between the prop and the lower unit. Only a small amount appeared after flushing the motor with muffs. If it is a seal leak how dangerous is it to run the motor?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

What color is the oil? Is the oil clear in color (could be tinted amber or green) or very black? If it's black, it's probably ok. If it's clear, that could be a problem-you should get the lower unit pressure/vacuum checked by a marine mechanic.