48 hp evinrude sounds like flooding?

farmallman

Cadet
Three yrs. ago running along i suddenly lost power,sounded like flooding up,until i pulled the throttle back to 2200 rpm. from in gear to 2200 it ran fine anything over 2200 it sounded like flooding up mainly. Push in the choke it would try to take gas but would not i rebuilt the carbs,a mechanic told me to do so, and run fine until last summer it did the same exact thing. The same mechanic said this time it was the thermostat. I pulled it out and it ran fine without the thermostat all last summer. O.K. now this year it is doing the same exact thing with still no thermostat. I replaced the fuel pump and plugs the plugs looked wet after idling at home. I put it over for sea trials and ran it at the dock tied for 30 minutes from idle to full and it did fine when i got underway out in the river it did fine up to 2200 rpm and would not take ths gas again still sounded like it was flooding up. Is it engine cooling or fuel problems. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!!! Thanks.

Last edited:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 48 hp evinrude wont take fuel

Removing the thermostat would have nothing to do with WOT RPM. In this chain of event's, have you tried a compression test? What year, or model number is this engine?

farmallman

Cadet

Removing the thermostat would have nothing to do with WOT RPM. In this chain of event's, have you tried a compression test? What year, or model number is this engine?

Its a 1991 i can get the model # tomorrow (im away on a tugboat now) Thanks