ignition switch bypass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am trying to get a 1965 Starfire 90S to start... I seem to get NO POWER to the starter... I put an ohm meter at the key switch and it showed open when the key was put in the start position.. The battery (positive) goes to one side of the starter solenoid... then there are two small posts then it continues to the starter itself... I used to hotwire my old mustang at the solenoid, but thjat was when Led Zeppelin was still together... can someone help me with this? I figure then I will be better able to find where the "breakdown" lies... Thanks.

Tom

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: ignition switch bypass...

Tom, When you turn the ign swithc to the start position, the battery teminal on the switch should be connected to the solenoid terminal of the ign switch. You may test it with a voltmeter, or an ohmmeter (with the battery disconnected).

It this is OK, check the solenoid to ground connection. One of the small terminals runs thru the neutral safety switch to ground. Obviously it is either the ign switch, solenoid, safety switch or wiring that is the issue. BTW - your motor predates Zepplin, so you are qualified to jumper it.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the reply! I had a new Solenoid on hand and replaced it to see if, perhaps some corrosion or age had caused th e old one to fail... No luck. I cannot remember the method for the "Jumping" of the solenoid.. I recall I had a wire with alligator clips that I would put on two positions, then use a screw driver to make contact between two points... I just can't remember which. "Old Age"!

As for the safety switch, not sure where it lives... can it be over ridden? I looked a bit at the throttle control... but nothing jumped out at me saying " I am a safety switch"...

If the motor was turned off while in gear, would that have created this problem?

I know, too many questions in one post. sorry,, I was on a roll!

Tom

Britar

Cadet

The fast jump is to jump from the battery to the small starter post on the solenoid. This will engage the solenoid. I have a old "remote starter" I've had for years that is just two clips with a momentary switch in between. You hook one side to the battery and one to the starter post.

I don't know your exact solenoid. On some the two posts are start and ground. On others the case is the ground, one is run power, and one is start power, the start bridges over to the run to provide power to the coil while starting.

lindy46

Captain

If the wires and connections are good, and clean with no corrosion and you have a new solenoid, then it's the starter. Have you tried Jumping the starter directly to see if it fires?

Britar

Cadet

You'll Need a local battery and heavy cable to jump the starter directly. If you don't have a heavy enough gauge wire the starter will just sit there like it was bad. Try that after the solenoid jump if that doesn't work.

You could disconnect the battery side of the solenoid and touch it to the starter side to directly jump the starter if it will reach. Gloves and glasses :)

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ran the positive directly to the starter and it cranked readily... But did not turn over or show any sign of doing so... It did start easily before... I am not sure where to go from here as I am not VERY electrically proficient and this motor has more than its share of electrical nuances... Is there a logical next step? I still suspect the key switch... Would love to rule it out completely...

Thanks again for all the help!

Tom

lindy46

Captain

If you suspect the switch, you can test it by disconnecting the battery. On the solenoid, the small terminal next to the large terminal going to the battery, should go to the start switch. Put an ohmmeter across these two terminals and move the key to the "start" position. The switch should close the circuit. If it doesn't either the start switch is bad, or there is a problem with the wires going from the solenoid to the switch.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Main red positive battery cable to large solenoid terminal, other large solenoid terminal red cable to starter. Large negative battery cable from battery to powerhead ground.

Small white wire from "S" terminal of ignition switch to small 3/8" nut terminal of starter solenoid. This terminal/wire should have 12 volts applied to it when the key is in the START position.

Small black wire for other 3/8" nut terminal of starter solenoid to ground. If not obviously directly to ground, follow that black wire to a safety switch that may be faulty, out of adjustment, or simply has too much throttle applied which would disengage it.

If no safety switch exists at the engine, it would exist within the control box which I assume is out of adjustment..... you would need to inspect that.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Joe and Lindy... That helped me identify and replace the faulty part... "switch"... everything works now. Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Regards,

Tom

Shine jones

Recruit
I dont kno how to hook my ignition switch up in my 1988 maxum boat. Motor 85 hp force of somebody kno something please let my kno..the Faris I got is it dont ture off it stay running

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I dont kno how to hook my ignition switch up in my 1988 maxum boat. Motor 85 hp force of somebody kno something please let my kno..the Faris I got is it dont ture off it stay running

Please start a new thread. This one is 9 years old. Include what motor you need help with, 85HP Force doesn't tell us much.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.